MG Maestro 1600 S-Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [For Sale] MG Maestro 1600 S-Series

I have for sale an MG Maestro 1600 S-Series - yes the very rare one. It is a stalled restoration project and requires a lot of work to get back on the road. I have come to the realisation that with four other cars and two children (one under 1yr old) that I will never have the time and effort to get this rare beast back on the road.

Good Points

Very rare complete car
    rare colour - Targa Red (only available on the S-Series, not R-Series)
    Complete car with the digital dash, Webers and cooling fan all in place
    Comes with some spares to replace rusty panels
    Good condition tailgate
    There's 20 MG1600s on How Many Left? with probably no more than 3 with the S-Series engine.
    pre-SORN

Bad Points

Rusty in usual places, especially rear arches sills, door bottoms
    Damaged drivers door lock
    Sagging headlining
    Engine is not running, due to cambelt failure
    It has been off the road since about 1998
    Will need to be collected by a trailer (or a magician)

I have some new or rust-free parts to help complete the bodywork including wings and some spare wheels (good condition cheesegraters) and a new bonnet (already painted red). It is a 1984 B-reg.

Basically I'm giving it away to anyone who wants to collect it but due to the parts, I'd like £100. I would entertain offers but anyone who wants the car for free isn't going to get the brand new bonnet and set of cheesegraters as I could use those on my other cars. (I think that's fair!)

If you're interested or want pictures, please PM me or email me on matthewsemple AT hotmail DOT com

(I will check my mailbox and PMs regularly)

I found some photos (attached). At some point I detailed the engine and replaced the windscreen washer lines because they were missing or damaged. I replaced a rusty wing and painted behind the front bumper. It was all solid around that area. You can see the passenger door is in good condition but the driver's door bottom is badly corroded.

It has a towbar and one rear mudflap. I think I have a spare mudflap somewhere which I'd chuck in with it.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by matthewsemple; 11th April 2014, 22:11.

Comment

£100? That's very generous of you Matt and mighty cheap.
      I'm sure someone will take it off you soon.
      1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
      1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
      1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
      2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
      2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

That looks like a very interesting project and one that would be nice to see completed by the next owner.
        1985 Austin Montego 2.0HLS x 2

MONTEGO - THE CAR THAT PUTS THE DRIVER FIRST

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
          £100? That's very generous of you Matt and mighty cheap.
          I'm sure someone will take it off you soon.
          Possibly but it does need a lot of work. Both rear arches will need to be replaced and probably the sills. Plus the engine hasn't turned for at least 16 years.

If someone takes this on and gets it running and restored, it will be worth a four-figure sum (a R-series sold on eBay for £1100 last year) but this car needs much TLC to get to there.

Comment

Hi Matt

I tried to call you unsuccessfully this afternoon, if you pick up this message please give me a call on 07402906972.

Many thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Oli View Post
              Hi Matt

I tried to call you unsuccessfully this afternoon, if you pick up this message please give me a call on 07402906972.

Many thanks.
              I was driving all afternoon and had my phone on silent. We are visiting family at the moment - drop me a PM or email if you wish.

Comment

Sorry Matt didn't know you were busy, PM'd.

Comment

Just a bit more info:

I have the keys for this car including the locking fuel cap key with the big 'P' that you get on early cars. It has done about 100K according to the odometer. I do not have any paperwork so the new owner would need to complete a V62 in order to get the V5.

Comment

Status on this sale. There is a queue:

1. A chap who PM'd me minutes after my original posting.
                    2. Oli
                    3. Another PM from another member on here

So it's fair, I'll let people see the car in the order they contact me. Everyone who has contacted me is a known enthusiast - which is nice. When it sells, I'll post here to let people know.

Hopefully whoever buys it will then post on the progress of the restoration.

Comment

Sold

Comment

Anymore pictures thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X