Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted: Injector pump for Perkins 2.0 turbo diesel

Hello,
    I have a Perkins 2.0 turbo diesel in my Land Rover that I recently purchased from a friend. I believe it came out of a Montego. I got it running for the first time in about 15 years. It immediately wanted to go to full throttle, which I gather means something is seized inside the pump. I think I'm headed for a rebuild, which is quite expensive here in the US, so wanted to pursue obtaining another pump. Does anybody happen to have one they'd be willing to part with? On another note, does anyone know the model number of the appropriate rebuild kit? I'll probably have a go myself first.
    Many thanks,
    Peter

Hi welcome, where in the US are you? Our resident diesel guru doctordiesel will be along in a bit to help you.
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Hi thank you. I'm in Maryland right outside of Washington, DC. Would appreciate any help!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
        Hi welcome, where in the US are you? Our resident diesel guru doctordiesel will be along in a bit to help you.
        There's only one true guru on here Jeff, just not keen on diesels so I hear ha ha ha!
        There are two slightly different pumps depending on whether it has two stage or single stage injectors... They are both Bosch VE, so not too hard to get rebuild kits for them, as far as I remember this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Landrover...MAAMXQ~6VQ4AVy seal kit fits and this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1EDafTg_8ov. is of the virtually identical Land Rover one. Before dismantling it you might find that emptying the pump of diesel, filling it up with good quality penetrating oil, loosening the injector pipes, then tapping the side of the pump with a soft faced hammer while turning the engine over on the starter motor and moving the maximum fuel adjusting screw (do not apply too much force to this and make a note of its original position) does it some good. I was advised to add a shot of two stroke oil to every fill up to lubricate the pump. If none of this works I do have a pump, but suspect that the postage might be interesting...they usually insist on all traces of oil being removed....
        good luck
        John
        Last edited by Doctordiesel77; 9th January 2021, 20:04.

Comment

just realised I didn't mention the difference between the 300 and prima pumps, the Prima has an external cold start hydraulic advance valve on the side of the pump...I'm guessing you've already noticed this though!

Comment

Thanks, Doctordiesel. Unfortunately the penetrating oil attempt did not free it up so a seal kit is on order and disassembly is next. The good news is it prompted me to rig up a rocker switch in the engine bay to turn the engine over without using the key - very handy! Just don't tell any thieves I'll keep you all posted how it goes.
            -Peter

Comment

Update tonight: I pulled the top off the pump off with it still mounted to the motor. The governor shaft that gets pushed by the weights was stuck in the idle position, but I was eventually able to free it up. Bolted everything back together and it's running great! Many thanks for the help.
              Cheers,
              Peter

Comment

Originally posted by KorytheLorry View Post
                Update tonight: I pulled the top off the pump off with it still mounted to the motor. The governor shaft that gets pushed by the weights was stuck in the idle position, but I was eventually able to free it up. Bolted everything back together and it's running great! Many thanks for the help.
                Cheers,
                Peter
                Excellent! it is nice when it turns out to be the easier to find bits...

Comment

Working...
                X