Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Body Panels

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Body Panels

    I was wondering about the availability of body panels for the Maestro. I've been struggling to obtain some door skins and wondered if anyone here had any luck or require some? I have a big opportunity to obtain some door skins for the maestro, but I'm not sure if having them produced for one car is worth while.

  • #2
    Body panels are getting increasingly difficult to obtain, some do come up from time to time but most are unwilling to pay the going price for them. Door skins are the same as Montego ones. After market panels do not always fit properly so if you can get original that's a much better option. Having them reproduced is very expensive and you would not get back your investment in my opinion, or it would take many years to get it back. I've had small things reproduced in the past and it's just not worth it as you do all the work and get moaned at when you go to sell at a small profit or none at all, but it's your choice. There are some body panels on this site in Spain but check first https://recambiosenriquesanchez.com/...product-page=8 Georg also has panels on his website, I've dealt with him many times BEP968 etc https://akmracing.dk/onewebmedia/Spa...mracing.dk.htm
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 22nd June 2021, 12:21.
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. Away for the winter
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser
    1984 MG Montego EFi in black. Digital dash, nearly finished
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. New cruiser
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. Love this car
    2004 MGZT V8, project for the winter nearly done.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thats a great shame Jeff . I am surprised that the club has not taken the initiative on getting a small stock available . The same applies to some two stroke clubs the members are usually of the older generation and remember when things cost shillings so cant bring themselves to pay the going price . The question is for the club members to consider is ,DO WE REALLY WANT THESE CARS TO STAY ON THE ROAD ,IF SO FOR HEAVENS SAKE ACT NOW !

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by kentish479 View Post
        Thats a great shame Jeff . I am surprised that the club has not taken the initiative on getting a small stock available . The same applies to some two stroke clubs the members are usually of the older generation and remember when things cost shillings so cant bring themselves to pay the going price . The question is for the club members to consider is ,DO WE REALLY WANT THESE CARS TO STAY ON THE ROAD ,IF SO FOR HEAVENS SAKE ACT NOW !
        It's not cheap having any panel fabricated and you need the tooling, That's what cost the money. I looked at having the fuel filler pockets fabricated for Maestros and Montegos a few years and it was thousands with a minimum quantity made. I also looked into the Chinese doing this after a long chat with a company at the NEC, again it was thousands with a minimum quantity so wasn't viable. Water pipes and anything small you can get your local engineering company to make. PLUS you need someone to actual research these things in their own time and expense without any thank yous etc. Then you need somewhere to store the parts and distribute them again in their own time
        Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 22nd June 2021, 12:15.
        1958 Ford Consul Convertible. Away for the winter
        1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser
        1984 MG Montego EFi in black. Digital dash, nearly finished
        1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. New cruiser
        2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
        2004 MGZT V8. Love this car
        2004 MGZT V8, project for the winter nearly done.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
          Body panels are getting increasingly difficult to obtain, some do come up from time to time but most are unwilling to pay the going price for them. Door skins are the same as Montego ones. After market panels do not always fit properly so if you can get original that's a much better option. Having them reproduced is very expensive and you would not get back your investment in my opinion, or it would take many years to get it back. I've had small things reproduced in the past and it's just not worth it as you do all the work and get moaned at when you go to sell at a small profit or none at all, but it's your choice. There are some body panels on this site in Spain but check first https://recambiosenriquesanchez.com/...product-page=8 Georg also has panels on his website, I've dealt with him many times BEP968 etc https://akmracing.dk/onewebmedia/Spa...mracing.dk.htm
          Hello Jeff.

          For me it's less about the profit and more about availability. Currently I've yet to come across any company reproducing body panels. If there is they are not readily available. I'd like to feel the security of knowing I can obtain parts should accidents happen.
          The future looks bleak for these cars, if we don't have replication of most common parts like door skins and wing panels. I'd happily look to get these reproduced if there was a market for them. I know parts made by a third party don't always fit as well as genuine parts, but some times we have little choice when the manufacturing as ceased.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by kentish479 View Post
            Thats a great shame Jeff . I am surprised that the club has not taken the initiative on getting a small stock available . The same applies to some two stroke clubs the members are usually of the older generation and remember when things cost shillings so cant bring themselves to pay the going price . The question is for the club members to consider is ,DO WE REALLY WANT THESE CARS TO STAY ON THE ROAD ,IF SO FOR HEAVENS SAKE ACT NOW !
            I think the club itself doesn't have funding to buy surplus supply. I do agree with you, replication is needed now before it becomes too difficult to replicate. These cars cannot stay on the road with the limited supply of spare body panels. I'd like to consider how I could help with this.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by VampireEchidna View Post

              Hello Jeff.

              For me it's less about the profit and more about availability. Currently I've yet to come across any company reproducing body panels. If there is they are not readily available. I'd like to feel the security of knowing I can obtain parts should accidents happen.
              The future looks bleak for these cars, if we don't have replication of most common parts like door skins and wing panels. I'd happily look to get these reproduced if there was a market for them. I know parts made by a third party don't always fit as well as genuine parts, but some times we have little choice when the manufacturing as ceased.
              I can see your point, but, Ed supplied a genuine montego sill that was replicated to a high degree. After copying it he made some up and advertised them in various places including Facebook etc and sold.......... None so stopped making them, he was also asking for maestro sills to copy aswell but gave up after that. He does still make panels for other cars but there wasn't the market for these parts. I couldn't understand why they weren't snapped up
              1958 Ford Consul Convertible. Away for the winter
              1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser
              1984 MG Montego EFi in black. Digital dash, nearly finished
              1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. New cruiser
              2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
              2004 MGZT V8. Love this car
              2004 MGZT V8, project for the winter nearly done.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post

                I can see your point, but, Ed supplied a genuine montego sill that was replicated to a high degree. After copying it he made some up and advertised them in various places including Facebook etc and sold.......... None so stopped making them, he was also asking for maestro sills to copy aswell but gave up after that. He does still make panels for other cars but there wasn't the market for these parts. I couldn't understand why they weren't snapped up
                This my problem. I'd like to work with a UK company to produce these panels. If there is no market for them, then I'd be wasting my time. I could still work with them to produce a template and few working examples. They can be stored on file for the future. Other than price, I just don't understand why so many are not looking to buy panels. Personally I would like new door skins for my car.

                Comment


                • #9
                  The seller of this item on eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284142451...QAAOSwKhpdmLBL is an enthusiast who has been working on reproduction of repair panels for some of the later MG Rover cars: could be worth having a chat to him to find out what he might be able to do for Maestros/Montegos. A whole panel; will always be much more expensive to reproduce than a small repair section, though.

                  BK Sheet Metal in Hinckley is also another useful contact. The Allegro club have used them several times to produce some repair panels although the takeup from members after the panels were made was not particularly high.

                  I think part of the problem with Maestros and Montegos is still the relatively low market value of all but the MG and Turbo variants, so owners are reluctant to invest in replacement panels.
                  1983 (Y) MG 1600
                  1985 MG EFi with digital dash (owned since 1987)
                  1987 700 City 1.6 Van
                  1988 Tandy camper 2.0D
                  1990 Advantage, just 29k on the clock
                  1990 Clubman D
                  1990 MG 2.0i (spares donor)

                  (all Maestros)

                  Daily drive: Rover 25 GTi

                  Weekend rave: Honda Civic Type R GT

                  Current projects: Allegro 1100 deluxe, Maestro 1.3HL

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by digital efi View Post
                    The seller of this item on eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284142451...QAAOSwKhpdmLBL is an enthusiast who has been working on reproduction of repair panels for some of the later MG Rover cars: could be worth having a chat to him to find out what he might be able to do for Maestros/Montegos. A whole panel; will always be much more expensive to reproduce than a small repair section, though.

                    BK Sheet Metal in Hinckley is also another useful contact. The Allegro club have used them several times to produce some repair panels although the takeup from members after the panels were made was not particularly high.

                    I think part of the problem with Maestros and Montegos is still the relatively low market value of all but the MG and Turbo variants, so owners are reluctant to invest in replacement panels.
                    I have a company who is willing to replicate panels for the Maestro, doors, wings, seals, tailgates and many other bits. They wont if there is little market there for it. You're right people are reluctant to invest unless it's top of the range model's like an MG. Sadly it leave us no outlet to buy panels in the future. The sad day will come when the final Maestro's and Montego's are scrapped, because new body panels are no longer obtainable and fabrication is too expensive to do on a single panel. (Avg 60 per hour for fabrication) I'm hoping that isn't going to be the case, if there is something I could do to help.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Nobody wants to pay the money for panels. We have lots of spare panels and I have tried advertising a few over the years that we don't want but no-one is interested in the larger ones (Thinking front quarters)
                      Rover 200 and 400 Owners Club (for wedge shape rovers, including coupe, tourer and cabriolet). - www.rover200.org.uk

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Beaker View Post
                        Nobody wants to pay the money for panels. We have lots of spare panels and I have tried advertising a few over the years that we don't want but no-one is interested in the larger ones (Thinking front quarters)
                        Sadly that true, however fabrication is costly and the only other alternative. You don't happen to still have spare panels in your possession? I cannot seem to find wheel arches for love nor money.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by VampireEchidna View Post

                          Sadly that true, however fabrication is costly and the only other alternative. You don't happen to still have spare panels in your possession? I cannot seem to find wheel arches for love nor money.
                          We have sheds full of them. No wheel arches for sale though - might need them in the future.
                          Rover 200 and 400 Owners Club (for wedge shape rovers, including coupe, tourer and cabriolet). - www.rover200.org.uk

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Beaker View Post

                            We have sheds full of them. No wheel arches for sale though - might need them in the future.
                            No worries, I now have a few of them. Found a place who had a few new old stock. I brought the lot. Would be happy to donate to others who might need them

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Hi Everyone

                              Does anyone have any good/new replacement rear turrets for an Montego estate?
                              Please let me know

                              kind regards
                              Africar

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X