For Sale - 1985 Maestro 1.6 HLS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [For Sale] For Sale - 1985 Maestro 1.6 HLS

For sale is my very rare brown (inside and out!) 1985 Austin Maestro 1.6 HLS five speed. It’s mechanically sound with good history and paperwork and an MOT. According to howmanyleft, there are now only three on the road. It has the earlier style fascia, and the 1.6 S-Series engine introduced in 1984.

The Maestro is in good mechanical order with an MOT until August and extensive service and repair history. I have owned it for nearly five years and used it as a reliable daily drive, servicing it annually and getting it repaired as necessary. I am only selling because I plan to move abroad. I've enjoyed it a lot and showed it at the British Marques day at Brooklands with the club, and at the Festival of the Unexceptional.

My dad took me to a Maestro launch party at a dealership in 1983 and the warm white wine in a plastic cup and the exhaust fumes of an MG Maestro 1600 as it drove through a polystyrene wall were all very exciting to a 12 year old. I just had to own one day.

The car has done about 122,170 miles but the engine was rebuilt in 2001 at 85,000 miles. Its last service and MOT was in July 2021 last year and it has only done around a thousand miles since then. The work included brake fluid replacement and new rear brake shoes. It has recently had a new heavy duty battery (guaranteed for four years). It had new front discs and pads in May 2021 (119,822 miles), new gearbox oil in July 2020 (112,535 miles), a new drive belt in March 2020 (111,731 miles), and a complete new set of five tyres in June 2019.

I bought it in August 2017 from an enthusiast who had carried out a mechanical overhaul and a new timing belt was fitted at that time, at 108,847 miles.

I have the V5C in my name and address and it is sold with three keys, the original Handbook and Consumer Guide, detailed service and repair receipts going back to 1989, MOT certificates back to 1988, some previous tax discs, and a manual for the Kenwood KDC-BT39DAB radio / CD / MP3 player I had fitted for £200. There is also a Haynes workshop manual.

Being the 1.6 HLS model, it features a five speed gearbox, electric front windows, beige velour upholstery and door trim (in very good condition), central locking, reclining and sliding front seats, front adjustable padded head restraints, silver coloured internally adjustable door mirrors, folding split rear seats with central armrest, cigarette lighter, tinted windows, heated rear window with wash/wipe, and lockable fuel cap.

The only real mechanical issue I am aware of is an oil leak from the rocker cover, a common issue on these, which could be repaired but I just keep the oil topped up.

So, we have a mechanically sound car with good history, good upholstery and carpets, and a good radio.

Some issues worth mentioning are:

The bodywork has rust in places as you can see from the photos but it is not a rustbucket. It was resprayed by a previous owner in the original colour and the paintwork is crazed on the roof and bonnet

The lever for the fan blower has broken off but I have fitted a 12V / 3000W Auto heater / cooling fan unit below the fascia which is wired to the battery

The passenger electric window gets stuck halfway open (but is safely closed at the moment!)

There is no roof biscuit or headlining (I covered the inside of the roof with light brown tape to match the general aesthetic until this was sorted but I have never got round to doing it)

Being a fan of British classics, I have customised the interior with some stickers and badges relating to the Maestro and British car marques. These could be removed, and all of these issues rectified.

The car is available to view and test drive by appointment in Battle, East Sussex. I have uploaded a PDF file of photographs.

Someone is going to drive away in one of Cowley’s and Britain’s finest…my Miracle Maestro!

Price: £2,400
    Please call Andy on 07870 878633, or message me via the club
    Attached Files
Working...
X