This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrapyard Watch

List any maestros / montegos spotted in scrap yards in this thread.

Also if you're scrapping one at your own place - list here if you want to invite people to request parts

Remember to add what model it is and which yard its in + contact details if known.

Its becoming hard to find some parts and knowing what maestros & montegos are being scrapped & where is half of the battle when trying to find that elusive part.

Andy
    CURRENT FLEET:
    1986 (C) Montego 1.6 HL Estate - Owned since Feb 2011
    1990 (H) Maestro 1.3 LX -Owned since December 2001
    1978 (T) Chrysler Avenger 1.6GL - Owned since April 2011
    2006 (06) Ford Focus Titanium 1.8 TDCi - Owned since Feb 2007
    1972 (L) - Hillman Avenger 1500 Super - Owned Since July 2012

I've got various montego estate spares, suspension parts, can build up full struts. Rear hubs, various bits and pieces really.

Also an S series engine that I still haven't scrapped! The heat shield has gone but most other parts available, with the auto box.

Comment

After i take the engine and loom ,and the interior/seats ,and possibly other parts,out of this (pretty much just a rolling shell),then it's free to a good home,should any one want to save it,and only save it,not have it to take more bits off,then scrap it!!

i havent been under it since i towed it back on sunday,and yes it does have rust,like most 26 year old cars,but on the surface,3 out of 4 doors look solid,as does the boot ,bonnet,etc!!

Its an 1986 D reg (possibly early) mk1 white montego turbo with service history stamped up to 50k miles (now on 80k,i think),plus old m.o.t's etc!

Please pm if you want to save this car,not view it,and kick the tyres,or indeed just want a part...im offering it free so that it can be saved......or i weigh it in for £100,in which i prefer it not to be!!

Comment

[QUOTE=vickygriff;145340]After i take the engine and loom ,and the interior/seats ,and possibly other parts,out of this (pretty much just a rolling shell),then it's free to a good home,should any one want to save it,and only save it,not have it to take more bits off,then scrap it!!

i havent been under it since i towed it back on sunday,and yes it does have rust,like most 26 year old cars,but on the surface,3 out of 4 doors look solid,as does the boot ,bonnet,etc!!

Its an 1986 D reg (possibly early) mk1 white montego turbo with service history stamped up to 50k miles (now on 80k,i think),plus old m.o.t's etc!

Please pm if you want to save this car,not view it,and kick the tyres,or indeed just want a part...im offering it free so that it can be saved......or i weigh it in for £100,in which i prefer it not to be!!

thats better i can read it now shame your sooooo far away dale

Comment

No takers on this..........apart from the engine ,its now completely stripped....

If no one wants it,then its another turbo taking off the list!!

Comment

I bet you could have sold the car complete. Now you have taken the engine and interior out it is scrap, no good defending yourself behind saying oh its such a shame 'another one off the list'

As much as I like the project it is going towards this is a needless end to a good usable turbo. Not what anyone wants to see on here.

I bet you could have found a good useable turbo engine and loom without too much messing around

Comment

Well a loom is hard to find because no one will keep it, and unless you buy a complete car, you ain't going to get one!!!!

As for the engine,well yes That is easy to find, and my best friend has 4 of them, and doesn't want to sell me one!!!

So what am I meant to do??? I'm offering it for free, hoping that it does get saved....so why the abuse??? Ok then I'll scrap it and pocket my £100 back for it!!!

Comment

I havent been following your activities dale, what car do you need to interior , engine and loom for? it seems sad to ruin this perfectly ok turbo after all jeff is restoring worse cars than this one
                Last edited by PatrickIngham; 6th February 2012, 20:15.

Comment

I don't want to be labelled as giving anyone grief but yes it does seem a strange state of affairs where we have threads/blogs on here of people restoring M/M Turbos from little more than a pile of iron filings and an VIN plate, while seemingly-good early ones are being raided for their engine and loom. Absolutely fair shout to you for offering its remains for nowt...but surely such a decent-looking early one would have been better back on the road, maybe offered in exchange for the bits you needed? That would have been more than fair. Few people will want its carcass now, other than to continue to raid its remains for parts to save another car, which bizarrely you have expressly forbidden
                  Regards
                  John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
                  MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

you have trashed a perfectly usable car, then you insist someone put it back how you found it or it gets scrapped. People have been banned for much less from what i remember. Seems to get much less of a reaction these days when a good car is scrapped. Doesn't make any sense either as they are really rare nowadays too!
                    Originally posted by G51 NAV View Post
                    Few people will want its carcass now, other than to continue to raid its remains for parts to save another car, which bizarrely you have expressly forbidden

Comment

The car was originally offered over on triple-m for all members for £100,Andy (maestego) then posted it on here,for sale,and whilst everyone debated over it,and the fact it was too far away (scotland) it was snapped up by me,originally only for parts....the car was getting scraped,either way,by myself or it's then current owner young ben ( who owns another black c reg turbo and the late L reg Black efi,with the turbo probably being scrapped,he yet to decide)!Plus a 16 v maestro and ratty!!

If we need spares to keep ours on the road,now its 2012,then we must travel the country,regardless of cost ,to get these bits.....(cost me over £150 in fuel)And i only wanted the carb (as i sold my only spare to chris L ) front standard bumper,as i dont have one,and what ever else i deemed i wanted....

I then decided i wanted to "general lee copy" a marina coupe,and turbo charge it,and had saved one for £250 on ebay,even though,no one,again,on the marina forum wanted it,to save it,or indeed break it for parts (so ive saved another rare car from the crusher!!)

So ive now stripped the montego for its loom,engine,box,bumpers,doors,carpets,bits of trim,and other small bits!!

Had i not saved it,then it may had been scrapped by ben,without any one knowing......Complete car!

Yes i hate to see such rare car scrapped,but i dont have the time,money ,source's or heart to restore another one....hence why ive offered it for free....What more can i do??

If you wanted to restore it ,from a ground up restoration,then ive saved you the bother of stripping it already....sorry to go on,but ive offered my best on this!!

But after stripping it down to its bare shell,its rotten,in places even i didnt think they went,one of them being along the top of the screen!!!
                      Last edited by vickygriff; 6th February 2012, 22:00.

Comment

It does seem fair enough, just a shame is all.
                        Originally posted by vickygriff View Post

So ive now stripped the montego for its loom,engine,box,bumpers,doors,carpets,bits of trim,and other small bits!!

Had i not saved it,then it may had been scrapped by ben,without any one knowing......Completly!!

Yes i hate to see such rare car scrapped,but i dont have the time,money ,source's or heart to restore another one....hence why ive offered it for free....

If you wanted to restore it ,from a ground up restoration,then ive saved you the bother of stripping it already....sorry to go on,but ive offered my best on this!!

But after stripping it done to its bare shell,its rotten,in places even i didnt think they went,one of them being along the top of the screen!!!

Comment

I think you understand more ,now countrydude,that ive explained a little better.....

It is badly rotten,probably as bad as the one i sold to jeff (and that cost £300)!!

And after a week of ownership no one wants a free car,even if they think "stuff it,i cant be bother to restore it,so ill weigh it in,no one will know,and ill be up £70-£100 for its weight in scrap"!! ??

Comment

Guys - i thought i'd start this thread to help people find parts for their cars. Dale has offered the remains of a car for free.... if we keep giving people grief for breaking cars then we're only going to make things harder for ourselves finding parts when we want them.

It's a shame when a car gets scrapped - but lets be right about it, it might have looked ok, but it probably needed a fair quantity of work to sort out...

maybe those that have posted could get together and save the car - as has been pointed out there are probably plenty of engines and looms about - and now the interiors out you have to look on the bright side and think that it's one less job for you to do - it'll need taking out for the welding & re-spray anyway.
                            CURRENT FLEET:
                            1986 (C) Montego 1.6 HL Estate - Owned since Feb 2011
                            1990 (H) Maestro 1.3 LX -Owned since December 2001
                            1978 (T) Chrysler Avenger 1.6GL - Owned since April 2011
                            2006 (06) Ford Focus Titanium 1.8 TDCi - Owned since Feb 2007
                            1972 (L) - Hillman Avenger 1500 Super - Owned Since July 2012

Comment

Well said that man...

And yes,ive got a load of parts,ready and cheap for anyone ,for there cars,in years to come.....ive already offered sam (captain slow) parts cheaply (at least i think so!!) for his monty!!

I do my upmost best to keep mine,and hopefully yours,on the road,in the future!!

Comment

Working...
                              X