Green to Amber Interior Illumination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green to Amber Interior Illumination

Since the installation of my '4-pack' MK3 Maestro (MK2 Montego) instrument unit in my 1989 Maestro (much prefer the red/white over the yellow), I've wanted to change the rest of the dashboard illumination from green to amber, to match. I believe Simon H has done this before...

Now, the rear window heater and rear fog light switches are orange because I simply swapped their bulbs, as they used to be green when 'off' and amber when 'on'. Same goes for the rear w/wipe buttons to the right, under the Coins tray - the green bulb had actually expired, but they are now orange - and don't change colour when operated.

The next items are the heater/blower control panels... I've had it off (so to speak) and I require a twist-fitment bulb (picture 1) and a standard bulb (picture 2), both in orange, to convert.

*places bets now on someone saying there are no twist-fitment orange bulbs*

For completion, the clock will need changing (somehow - the bulb is clear and the lens is green!). Same goes for the radio panel illumination which faces downwards. This'll be the not-so-simple part I imagine!

So, what I am looking for, is a whopping great selection of orange bulbs and/or caps - I'll probably need one or two green ones also...

Can anyone help with the supply thereof - and advise as to the latter modifications..?
    Attached Files
    Steve Worsley

R514 RVJ - 1998 Rover Maestro 1.3 - Restoration
    VX12 EBG - 2012 MG-6 GT 1.8T SE - Stored
    J209 PEL - 1991 Rover Maestro 1.3 Clubman - Running

Try Maplins.

Comment

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/das...-up-c-588.html

This place do more types of marine and automotive bulbs than anyone else I can think of, they also do LED equivalents to the common ones in most colours .. They have the largest selection of dash bulbs I know of

Comment

Cheers for that.

Just been to the local car spares shop and they only do clear ones, so this is a big help.
        Steve Worsley

Comment

Re. your twist fitment bulb, just pull the bulb out of the holder and replace with an orange one. They are the same type as used in the back of the instrument pack.

The Mk3 dashboard clock that illuminates orange like in your Apple also uses a clear bulb but with an orange insert sheet. maybe get one of each type and swap the insert sheet for your colour change?

As for the radio downlight. I heard vague rumors that the Sherpa van used this unit, but in orange. I'd get down to the scrapyard and check out early LR Descoveries and mid 80s Range Rovers. They are full of Austin Rover dash parts.

Comment

IIRC you will need a new facia for the instrument pack as the back illumination is coloured through the instruments, not a massive job to change.The easiest option is get an instrument pack for a late car and swap the speedo or change the milage on the new one (bit of a grey area).
            As for the lamp on the radio you can buy cheap amber warning lights from most motor factors and these are a direct swap for the maestro one.
            The clock is a bit trickier, inside it is a green or orange membrane which needs to be changed ,quite easy when you open it up. I changed on in a metro boost gauge as they only came in green but mines now orange.
            Hope this helps
            Russ

Comment

As stated what gave me the idea was the difference in lighting colours when I'd installed the amber-illuminated MK3 instrument unit. I won't need to change that. As for the radio tray illumination, I will have to source a little clip-in lens holder that the bulb fixes into, remove the green lens and stick in a home-made amber one.

I will have to dismantle the clock and also source a MK3 one to do that conversion. I've ordered some amber (and green) bulbs from the above site - cheers Sean.
              Steve Worsley

Comment

Originally posted by MaestroSpecial View Post
                As for the radio tray illumination, I will have to source a little clip-in lens holder that the bulb fixes into, remove the green lens and stick in a home-made amber one.

These are the ones you can get for about a quid from motor factors

Comment

Working...
                X