Out with the old, in with the new(er)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out with the old, in with the new(er)

Well following the mildly amusing death of my Mini little over two weeks ago i decided it was time to get a real car.

So the hunt was on for a Maestro.

I found an 1988 Atlantic Blue Maestro Mayfair at a good price, my train ticket was booked and so me and my friend Dan set off to Newbury to get it.

200odd mile round trip went relatively trouble free, apart from a call from the mrs on the platform which resulted in us missing the ruddy train, so we had to wait another hour! - Anyhow, it drove home fine.

I've done 1000 miles in her in the week i've owned it and i have been loving every minute of it.

If you are reading this, excellent - i didn't send you to sleep!

Heres some pictures:

Cheers then.

Oli.

Not bad at all, Oli - Just needs a good polish.
    Steve Worsley

R514 RVJ - 1998 Rover Maestro 1.3 - Restoration
    VX12 EBG - 2012 MG-6 GT 1.8T SE - Stored
    J209 PEL - 1991 Rover Maestro 1.3 Clubman - Running

Comment

Loving the Mayfair!!! Just needs a clean though... but its nothing.. Good luck with her mate.

I think i might need to get myself a Mayfair!

Comment

Very nice Chief, very nice indeed!
        Regards
        John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
        MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Looks like a good'un

Comment

Much better than a Mini. My old Efi was atlantic blue, it looked great when some bits were resprayed and had some depth of shine.

Comment

mayfair is probably my favourite trim level, not too basic, but not too garish.

good job oli

Comment

yeah looks good mate same colour as my old one

Comment

I realy like that
                  Sure & steadfast.
                  BMC/BL Rally 2008.First prize 1980s onward.
                  1988 Montego Estate 1600L Atlantic Blue From new Daily runner
                  1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500HL Pagent Blue From new 76.000 milesNow out of Hibination and into Restoration

Comment

Looks a good car, should clean up very nicely, look forward to seeing it out and about this year!

Ray
                    MG Montego efi C928TBL - Moonraker blue
                    Austin Montego Mayfair C943KOE - Clove brown
                    MG Maestro 2.Oi H352MOF - Black

Comment

Originally posted by MaestroTurbo View Post
                      Much better than a Mini.
                      How right you are mate.
                      I just wish i had listened to you (and others) in the first place when i still owned my Maestro EFi.

I spent close to £1700 getting on the road with that Mini, that includes purchase and insurance etc etc etc.

That's £1700 i could have used to get myself insured on the EFi, what a ruddy brilliant car that would have been to motor around in.

Anyhow, you live and learn - but i can quite safely say it was one of the biggest mistakes i have ever made selling that car and choosing the Mini over it.

I never intend on using a Mini daily again, if i get another it will just be a weekend play toy. - Amazing how things change, isn't it? 3 months ago i was absolutely fanatical about Minis... Not anymore....!!!!

Maestros and Montegos all the way. Which i guess can only be a good thing, as i spose it us the "younguns" who will help with the future preservation of these cars.

Thanks for all the positive comments people.

Ray... all being well she should be at many, if not all of the shows this year.

Oli.

Comment

[QUOTE=Oli i spose it us the "younguns" who will help with the future preservation of these cars

So us old ones arnt helping the future preservation of these cars eh :laugh::laugh:
                        Sure & steadfast.
                        BMC/BL Rally 2008.First prize 1980s onward.
                        1988 Montego Estate 1600L Atlantic Blue From new Daily runner
                        1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500HL Pagent Blue From new 76.000 milesNow out of Hibination and into Restoration

Comment

Originally posted by Oli View Post

I never intend on using a Mini daily again, if i get another it will just be a weekend play toy. - Amazing how things change, isn't it? 3 months ago i was absolutely fanatical about Minis... Not anymore....!!!!

Oli.
                          I was equally as fanatical about my Mini as you were, at your age. I got my Mini when i was 14 and me and my dad restored it slowly over those years till i was ready to drive at 17. Hours and hours and all my pocket money was put into it, it had a lovely spec, and shortly after i passed my test and got driving it, within a month i was building a 1293 lump for it. But even after that, my mate in his 1.2 Punto was still quicker, and then a couple of months later the gearbox broke just like yours. Together with it being uncomfortable, unpractical, noisy and unsafe, i bought a Maestro from a salvage yard for £95, it only needed a bumper and a wing, a bit of tidying here and there and off it went.

It was a revelation compared to the Mini. Being able to travel places, anywhere in fact without being uncomfortable was a novelty. It went well considering it was the same engine! And it even handed well, despite body roll... I never looked back, and should have got one in the first place instead of messing about with Mini's. I grew up with Maestro's too, so i should have known better.

That first 1.3 was a legend, i got it an MG interior, MG wheels, put a nice stereo in it.... usual stuff. It led on to the Turbo i still have today which was bought using the money from the sale of the Mini... so i suppose that was no bad thing. Sadly, i lost interest in the 1.3 not long after, it needed a new crankshaft seal as it was leaking onto the clutch and caused it to slip. It ended up getting scrapped whole as my dad was fed up with having it on the drive. One of my many regrets in life!

Comment

Originally posted by Oli View Post
                            How right you are mate.
                            I just wish i had listened to you (and others) in the first place when i still owned my Maestro EFi.

I spent close to £1700 getting on the road with that Mini, that includes purchase and insurance etc etc etc.

That's £1700 i could have used to get myself insured on the EFi, what a ruddy brilliant car that would have been to motor around in.

Anyhow, you live and learn - but i can quite safely say it was one of the biggest mistakes i have ever made selling that car and choosing the Mini over it.

Maestros and Montegos all the way. Which i guess can only be a good thing, as i spose it us the "younguns" who will help with the future preservation of these cars.

Thanks for all the positive comments people.

Ray... all being well she should be at many, if not all of the shows this year.

Oli.
                            speaking of that old Efi i still have the spare keys for it in my possession!

did the guy you sold it to say he was going use it? or was it for spares?

Comment

Looks good Oli, glad you've finally got a Maestro on the road!!

Comment

Working...
                              X