Fabricated Heater Pipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fabricated Heater Pipes

Pin holes galore in the heater pipes, inside and out on two cars ! So made a set for the diesel turbo, one other set is already in the MG Maestro working fine:

Standard 15mm copper pipe for the plain pipe - used yorkshire fittings on the ends - they fit the hoses perfectly and even provide the 'bump' for good retention. Just flattened pipe for the supports from the manifold.

Inside car heater run more tricky - needed to make a jig for this. Same 15mm copper, plus brass plate for the heater matrix interface. Needed the jig here to get the correct spacing and protrusion, ready for the O-rings. Bulkhead plate is Ally, fixed to a brass channel, which the pipes go through (soldered). Just need a spacer for the intermediate fixing to the heater box (cut a corner here to make it simpler)

These won't corrode !

But didn't half take a long time though
    Attached Files

Good God man, are you a plumber, or just a legend! I'd give that full marks! This is awesome work and you should feel proud. Did you use a bending spring or a pipe bender? Nice neat soldering too. I must have a go at this myself one day...
    M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
    Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

You made one big mistake!

You should have made a dozen sets as you were going along.

Just think how much cash you have lost... you would have sold the lot on here!!!!!!

Comment

If you ever decide to make them to order put me down for a set. Well made well done!
        Last edited by Mike Brock; 5th June 2011, 19:59.

www.mgmaestroturbo.com Home of the Twincharged Maestro.

2014 Vauxhall Mokka 4x4 Turbo - Tech line

Comment

Excellent. It must be good to have the skill to do something useful like that.
          Regards
          John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
          MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Nice to see a "proper job" being done. Congrats. If you wanted to make more and sell them I'm sure no-one would object
            www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
            www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
            www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Thanks guys for the comments.

It's not that difficult - most of you could do it if you've done a bit of diy copper plumbing - though a lot of plumbing these days it that horrible plastic stuff.

Yes - used a spring for this job - bit easier to tweak the runs so they are parallel.

The real time is in the setup and a lot of care. Bit like welding, the prep is 95% and the soldering is the rewarding last bit. Like a lot of these trades that we dabble in - we can do the job, it just takes us 5 times longer.

The pipe behind the manifold is dead easy.

I would make some more if I just had the time, just finishing the head on the monty TD, then the red MG maestro is still waiting to be finished off, then I'm supposed to start on the wife's MG.

One day maybe I'll knock some up, but I'd have to make better jigs for the heater matrix pipes if was going to sell them.

Comment

Still a top job done on them fit and forget happy days! Most of the steel ones have done realy well if the car has been well antifreezd all its life!

Comment

I did the same job with my old TD for the coolant rail, but never had to tackle the matrix pipes thankfully.
                  www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                  www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                  www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

I need a set of these how much please thanks

Comment

Originally posted by raylyd View Post
                      I need a set of these how much please thanks
                      This is a very old thread,
                      1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                      1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                      1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car