Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do not hold your breath for the aged related zero tax on cars over 25 years old to return.this goverment needs more tax cash not less

Comment

The government have moved this forward one year to 1973 recently. At the current rate (one year in 16) we'll be long gone before the exemption catches up with our cars.

I think there is a shortfall of several £billion a year on VED revenue due to new car buyers choosing cars based on the VED not on how good the car is. This is only going to get worse as the older cars reduce in number.

I hope it happens too because I have two cars that cost over £200 a year to tax, one of which is already over 25 years old. But I am not holding my breath. If it does happen I'll use my V5C to prove when the cars were first registered. Why would the DVLA not accept that? The heritage certificates are only required if the cut-off date falls in between date of manufacture and date of registration.

Comment

Originally posted by matthewsemple View Post
        The government have moved this forward one year to 1973 recently. At the current rate (one year in 16) we'll be long gone before the exemption catches up with our cars.

I think there is a shortfall of several £billion a year on VED revenue due to new car buyers choosing cars based on the VED not on how good the car is. This is only going to get worse as the older cars reduce in number.

I hope it happens too because I have two cars that cost over £200 a year to tax, one of which is already over 25 years old. But I am not holding my breath. If it does happen I'll use my V5C to prove when the cars were first registered. Why would the DVLA not accept that? The heritage certificates are only required if the cut-off date falls in between date of manufacture and date of registration.
        There has been some debate if this will happen as apparently they proposed and agreed it but nothing has been done to action it!! You are right the V5 should do it but if it sat in a field for 6 months as many AR cars did then it would be useful. I had a Land Rover registered in Jan 1973 that is exempt on the basis that it must have been built in 1972.

That aside I think the heritage certificates are a really nice thing to have - not cheap but a nice addition to a good example or a keeper. I certainly fancy one and am thinking of getting one for my dad's Christmas for his MGB
        1989 Montego Mayfair EFI
        1989 BMW 316i
        2013 BMW 320d Touring
        2014 Nissan Leaf. Shhhhhh

Treasurer
        Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

An update

This year the rolling historic status was reintroduced but it is now 40 years. So if this remains unchanged, the first Maestro will be eligible for free VED in 2023. Early cars tend not to have sat around for long as sales are strong shortly after introduction so the situation where owners needing certificates to prove their car is older than their registration suggests is likely to occur in about 2028 onwards.

Some MG Maestro Turbos, which were all built in 1989, were registered in 1990 and 1991. It will be interesting to see if the historic status can be gained in 2029 for cars like that have only been registered for 38 years.
          Last edited by matthewsemple; 27th September 2016, 19:09.

Comment

Working...
          X