No announcement yet.

Maestro 3-door pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone must have contacts who know about the 3 door. The people to talk to are out there but its finding them..

The whole group s project really interests me but theres hardly any info out there

Comment

There was an article in ccc in 86 that said that ARG had collaborated with GM on a 4wd transmission for GpS . The cars were an astra 4S and maestro 6r4 the astra was to use a manta 400 engine with a turbo and the maestro the v64v both front engine. The astra saw the light of day as a rally X car with john welsh but the maestro was scrapped. I have heard that there was a couple of prototype maestro 6r4s one mid the other front engine.
      Im pretty sure the pic of thr 3dr shell is one of these. Look at the size of the arches,and the front valance is different to both metal and plastic bumper shells.
      I would love to know more about the gpS project too

Comment

Just had another look at the 3dr pic, what is going on with the back suspention? Massive turret, and why can you see through the inner arch, 4wd i suspect
        Also the scuttle panel is montego esq, hidden wipers but is the engine bay a tad higher to cover a v6?
        Last edited by Russ; 18th December 2012, 01:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ View Post
          Just had another look at the 3dr pic, what is going on with the back suspention? Massive turret, and why can you see through the inner arch, 4wd i suspect
          Also the scuttle panel is montego esq, hidden wipers but is the engine bay a tad higher to cover a v6?
          It looks to me that the back turrets are normal sized. I think your seeing the dark shape near the turret which is actually the hollow inner part of the quarter panel. But I agree, the rear arch is huge. Any normal sized road car wheel/tyre would look tiny in there. It looks like the rear arches were designed for clearance for big forest tyres etc and suspension travel. The front wings look normal though which doesnt make sense. But I suppose we dont know what stage its at in the pics so they might have thrown a standard wing on for the time being.

The thing is why would they have metal doors and wings on a group s car? Im pretty sure the astra 4s had a lot of fibreglass panels.

Under the picture of the 3 door shell it says the photo was supplied by Richard Bremner. I wonder who he is and if he knows more about the shell

Comment

Originally posted by Russ View Post
            It looks to me that the back turrets are normal sized. I think your seeing the dark shape near the turret which is actually the hollow inner part of the quarter panel. But I agree, the rear arch is huge. Any normal sized road car wheel/tyre would look tiny in there. It looks like the rear arches were designed for clearance for big forest tyres etc and suspension travel. The front wings look normal though which doesnt make sense. But I suppose we dont know what stage its at in the pics so they might have thrown a standard wing on for the time being.

The thing is why would they have metal doors and wings on a group s car? Im pretty sure the astra 4s had a lot of fibreglass panels.

The bonnet is more curved at the top too by the look of it to cover the wipers.

Under the picture of the 3 door shell it says the photo was supplied by Richard Bremner. I wonder who he is and if he knows more about the shell

Comment

The other strange thing is it designed to take bumpers which are unlike either the normal plastic or metal bumpers. If its not a motorsport project it could have been a mk2 or facelift prototype, it has montego esq wiper arrangement. I wonder if the fact it has no side repeaters dates it pre 85

Comment

Originally posted by g200mss #146 View Post
                Richard Bremner is a motoring journalist.

In fact, since I typed that first sentence, I have Googled him:

http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/richard-bremner/b/96/244

More than your average journo, in fact!
                1983 (Y) MG 1600
                1985 MG EFi with digital dash (owned since 1987)
                1987 700 City 1.6 Van
                1988 Tandy camper 2.0D
                1990 Advantage, just 29k on the clock
                1990 Clubman D
                1990 MG 2.0i (spares donor)

(all Maestros)

Daily drive: Rover 25 GTi

Weekend rave: Honda Civic Type R GT

Current projects: Allegro 1.7HLS, Allegro Equipe

Comment

Here's another take
                  Attached Files
                  M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
                  Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Bringing back this thread from the dead as I've always been interested in the history of the 3 door maestro shell.

Being a rally and 6r4 fan the rumours of plans for a maestro group s rally car to replace the metro 6r4 gave me more reasons to find answers.

Recently I contacted John Davenport, ex Austin rover motorsport director. He told me there were never any plans to use a maestro for group s. And that group s died when group b did.

He also said..

"The only point worth making about the Maestro is that it would have made a better basis for a Group B car than the Metro but it was two years too late and, by the time it was launched in early 1983, we were far too far down the line with the Metro to junk it and start again"

So it's a shame the maestro was released late or things could have been very different!

He also had never seen or heard of a 3 door maestro shell.

Sorry to bust the group s bubble. I suppose il just have to build one

Comment

Wasn't the 6R4 built mostly on a maestro floorpan?
                      www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                      www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                      www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

For some reason people seem to think that and it has been written in a few articles. But I see no connection between the two cars. The floor pan is nothing like the maestro. Strangely I was chatting to a mechanic who looks after a 6r4 rally car and he seemed to think they were built on maestro floor pans. But maybe he hasnt seen a maestro floor so just believes it..

Comment

I thought the chassis was custom built space frame with fibreglass panels....wonder if thre is a cut away of it on iternet somewhere? I'll answer that myself https://i.pinimg.com/originals/94/dc...1d0aee747e.jpg doesn't look familiar in the chassis department..
                          Last edited by Doctordiesel77; 14th December 2017, 15:47.

Comment

I would suspect it is the front turret, bulkhead and front floor bit that was used if it was.
                            www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                            www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                            www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

6r4 chassis below

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7831.JPG
Views:	354
Size:	784.0 KB
ID:	331477 As a spotty teenager many, many years ago I sketched this:
                                1994 Maestro Clubman TD 215K and counting!
                                WANTED! Maestro steel sunroof '86 on - any condition!

Comment

Working...
                                X