Maestro/ Montego graveyard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maestro/ Montego graveyard

I was told of a field in the middle of nowhere with classic cars rotting away. In amongst them were about 3 Maestros, 3 Montegos and a Maestro van. These are likely to be the most rotten M's you have ever seen having been sat in the field for many years. Jacking them up proved a challenge because the chassis legs and front panels where the towing eyes are welded literally crumpled on the first pump of the jack. Im going back this Sunday for parts so if anyone needs anything difficult to find let me know and I'll do my best to get it but be quick! Mostly just interior parts available due to the condition of everything exposed to the weather.

Pictures to follow

Last edited by g200mss #146; 19th April 2017, 18:21.

Comment

Wow. I thought mine was rotten!!! I would say any of the interior trim, glass and lights are worth saving. Love seeing pictures like this, I'd love to make a find like that! Don't lynch me but I also loved seeing the cavalier commander!

Comment

The plastic trim from around the rear window of the Montego is worth saving if it can be removed without breaking!.

Ray
        MG Montego efi C928TBL - Moonraker blue
        Austin Montego Mayfair C943KOE - Clove brown
        MG Maestro 2.Oi H352MOF - Black

Comment

Same goes for the front and rear screen rubbers on Maestros.
          Membership Secretary
          Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
          2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
          1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Comment

Where are they located
            Sure & steadfast.
            BMC/BL Rally 2008.First prize 1980s onward.
            1988 Montego Estate 1600L Atlantic Blue From new Daily runner
            1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500HL Pagent Blue From new 76.000 milesNow out of Hibination and into Restoration

Comment

Yes please...If any of the Maestros (or pre 1988 facelift Montegos) have electric mirrors then I'd like the entire dash wiring please (in other words the section that comes away with the dash if you remove it and needs to be unplugged from the main loom) and also the electrical wiring that feeds the electric mirrors going up the front doors, again traced back to the multi plugs behind the dash. Thanks in advance for looking!
              M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
              Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

If any of them have dashes that can be saved I'd love to go up there and remove parts, assuming "there" isn't too far?
                Ian
                Ian Drew
                MG Maestro Turbo '400'
                MG ZT V8
                Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

Im not allowed to disclose the location, sorry. All dashboards are bound to be cracked or faded due to sitting in a field for 10+ years. I'll try my best with the above parts

Comment

Hi all, none of the parts requested were in good condition unfortunately. Being outside for all these years has killed most of the parts. I went for hubs and came home with 6. Not much else was savable!

Comment

Nevermind. At least some parts were salvageable.
                      Ian
                      Ian Drew
                      MG Maestro Turbo '400'
                      MG ZT V8
                      Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

Thanks again for looking though!
                        M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
                        Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Grave yards for montys/ maestro are even getting scarce and have closed due tighting up of the laws so its even more important to mention when you see a car in them and where they are
                          Last edited by TLC; 26th April 2017, 18:47.
                          Sure & steadfast.
                          BMC/BL Rally 2008.First prize 1980s onward.
                          1988 Montego Estate 1600L Atlantic Blue From new Daily runner
                          1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500HL Pagent Blue From new 76.000 milesNow out of Hibination and into Restoration

Comment

I agree but I have to respect the owners wishes or I wont be allowed back

Comment

I have to agree, even posting an approx location (google earth searching!) would result in lots of people turning up especially with the varied makes and models there. Not everyone is polite!

Comment

Working...
                              X