Internal Floor Paint Type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internal Floor Paint Type

I have had some welding done to my floor pan due to water ingress. To protect the floor from more damage due to water
    I have put down two coats of red oxyde/rubbery paint to stop the water getting to the metal. Now this is working
    but it is very bright for me, what would be the best paint as a top coat to put down? I would prefer to use tined paint
    as then I can make sure every bit of floor is covered.

I konw I am using belt and two pairs of braces here but I dont want to get welding done again.
    What do the garage people use?

Cheers
    S

I have found the secret is the preparation and the quality of the undercoat / primer along with the time frame in which the top coat is applied. Most metal finishing paints do a good job of keeping out moisture but if you have any rust or moisture in there before you paint them you may as well just leave it bare. I would start with a grinding the area with a soft disc to remove any rust and to smooth the weld then treat with a leave on rust treatment then paint with a good quality branded metal primer followed by a good quality branded metal top coat. These top coats must be applied in the time frame given on the instructions for the primer, too early or too late and you won't achieve the maximum adherence which may lead to lifting and then trapping moisture between the layers. The issue I have found with red oxide primers is that they just aren't as good as the proper old red lead primers we used to use, yes they are a little easier on the lungs but not for rust prevention or adherence. Don't forget the underneath, a brush over with under seal is the worst thing you can do if the surface contains rust or moisture, all it will achieve is accelerating the oxidisation process. The same detail must be also applied under the car followed by stone guard paint / underseals etc.. At the end of the day nothing will totally guarantee a rust free car, the better preparation along with good quality paints applied correctly will certainly help though.

Comment

Working...
    X