No announcement yet.

MG Montego Turbo goes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annoying that the windscreen surrounds are rubbish, I've got a couple of them for mine...I may have to replan...

Comment

• Originally posted by Doctordiesel77 View Post
      Annoying that the windscreen surrounds are rubbish, I've got a couple of them for mine...I may have to replan...
      The problem is not enough material to attach to the windscreen, the 2mm cut out isn't enough. If they made it say 6mm it would work
      1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
      1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
      1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
      2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
      2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
      2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

• Windscreen went in today, the generic trim I bought off ebay fitted lovely and was the same size as the one that came off it. Very happy
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 7th May 2024, 13:51.

Comment

• Scuttle on and without cracking the windscreen, wipers on, started the car up and the rev counter still isn't correct, turned the heater fan on and that's now not working. Removed the dash yet again and dropped a nut that went under the passenger seat, couldn't find it so as things are not going well I stopped for the day. On a good note the car started on the button.
          I may have an earth issue somewhere but I am not good at electrics, the fan was working before I removed the dash so no idea atm. If I turn the fan on a light comes on at the display and another on the heated rear window so I'm at a loss atm
          With the rev counter it should be just coil from memory so I will have another look at that. The trigger lead is connected to the coil -ve terminal and receives pulses from the ignition system, The multifunction unit receives the pulses and drives it so maybe a lose connection?
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 8th May 2024, 15:22.

Comment

• Very strange, the fan is switched to earth & has a live feed that comes on with the auxiliary relay, I would suggest checking that the relay hadn't come loose when working on dash, but if it had there'd be a lot more things not working... The easy way to find out where the fault lies is to connect a voltmeter between any of the wires on the fan resistor and earth, should be 12v with switch off, 0v with switch on high speed. If you don't get 12v with fan off, fault is motor, relay, fuse or wires between them, if it is still 12v with switch on it is a bad earth or faulty switch, earth sounds likely judging by random lights coming on, some of the earths are just below the windscreen iirc, so might need a clean. Very annoying when things do tricks like this after you've fixed them......

Comment

Very strange, the fan is switched to earth & has a live feed that comes on with the auxiliary relay, I would suggest checking that the relay hadn't come loose when working on dash, but if it had there'd be a lot more things not working... The easy way to find out where the fault lies is to connect a voltmeter between any of the wires on the fan resistor and earth, should be 12v with switch off, 0v with switch on high speed. If you don't get 12v with fan off, fault is motor, relay, fuse or wires between them, if it is still 12v with switch on it is a bad earth or faulty switch, earth sounds likely judging by random lights coming on, some of the earths are just below the windscreen iirc, so might need a clean. Very annoying when things do tricks like this after you've fixed them......
              Yeah it is a bit strange as I didn't touch any earths behind the dash, I know where the earth is up near the screen but having a day off of cars today and just washing and polishing my Jag XK8 Convertible and dropping of a wheel to have a new tyre fitted for the Turbo. Will have a look tomorrow and see how that goes, thanks for the tip John
              Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 10th May 2024, 13:26.

Comment

• Cleaned up the earth leads behind the dash and alls working again now but no idea why I had to do that as I didn't touch it, seat removed and the small nut had fallen in between the carpet and bottom plastic panel under the seat, seat back in, dash back in. Before I put the dash clocks back in properly I checked if all was working and the headlight and side lights were not lighting up, so I changed both bulbs and all's good now, steering wheel back on, bonnet back on and new rear tyre fitted. This was the old one and badly cracked. Next thing is to sort the non working offside rear window, then tune up the carb as it's running rich
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 10th May 2024, 13:29.

Comment

• Bought this last year and hope all works to tune the carb
                  Attached Files

Comment

• You've had a busy day! At least the electrical fault was in the easy to get at area when the dash was out, be annoying if it was to take out again to get at it later on... Gastester looks like a decent bit of kit...

Comment

You've had a busy day! At least the electrical fault was in the easy to get at area when the dash was out, be annoying if it was to take out again to get at it later on... Gastester looks like a decent bit of kit...
                      Yeah, I'm looking forward to playing with that to adjust the emissions before it's MOT as I know it struggled last year

Comment

Working...
                      X