Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Had to drill larger holes as they were too small really to weld. Followed your advise John on full power, number 5 and now welds lovely and also holds fast which is the main idea. May not look good and I know it's probably rubbish but this should do
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 21st March 2024, 16:36.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Originally posted by Doctordiesel77 View Post

If you're plug welding it with a mig make sure you have it cranked up as far as you dare. I seem to remember vosa getting a bit paranoid about it at one point because people had sometimes filled the hole, but not penetrated the bottom layer due to either not cleaning it off properly (don't think that'll affect you!) or having the power set too low, it all looked fine until it had a load applied. I may well be telling you things you already know here, but will take a chance on it, just this once
    Yeah i know what you mean, I've been practicing a little on scrap metal of old Montego wings I had. Got most of it down to a tee now but before I do this on the car I will try again with the same size holes the scrap metal. If I need larger holes it's not an issue

Leave a comment:

• Doctordiesel77
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post

Narr you're far more advanced on welding John . I may need to make the holes a little bigger but will trial spot weld a scrap bit of metal first and see how that goes
    If you're plug welding it with a mig make sure you have it cranked up as far as you dare. I seem to remember vosa getting a bit paranoid about it at one point because people had sometimes filled the hole, but not penetrated the bottom layer due to either not cleaning it off properly (don't think that'll affect you!) or having the power set too low, it all looked fine until it had a load applied. I may well be telling you things you already know here, but will take a chance on it, just this once

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Looking good, I'll have one to do at some point, so I'm paying attention!
    Narr you're far more advanced on welding John . I may need to make the holes a little bigger but will trial spot weld a scrap bit of metal first and see how that goes

Leave a comment:

• Doctordiesel77
    replied
    Looking good, I'll have one to do at some point, so I'm paying attention!

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Spot weld holes drilled and now fits perfectly. Clean up and paint next before welding
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    All off now and cleaned up the mastic and drill holes, little hole here in the A post I hope to plug weld, trial fit the new panel and not too bad at all . clean up next then measure for drilling holes for spot welding with my welder. Never done this before but it's going ok atm and what could possibly go wrong
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 18th March 2024, 16:11.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Little bit of time to spend on this so off with the panel and had to lower the heater to get the nut out
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Nice short cut! Good job you had a spare panel, I guess the plus side is that it'll not be to do again anyway
    Yeah I've got another lying about somewhere in my spares and as you say once on it's not going to be done again in my lifetime, well that's the theory. Didn't think I'd be still working on it either so you never know

Leave a comment:

• Doctordiesel77
    replied
    Nice short cut! Good job you had a spare panel, I guess the plus side is that it'll not be to do again anyway

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Well luckily I managed to short cut it, all rust removed from the surround and given 2 coats of rust beater, another 2 coats to go then wait for the spot weld drills to arrive
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Well windscreen removed and lots of rust on the bottom panel, luckily I have a spare but the front of the car may have to come off to get to it. Bumper, lights and both wings . Sigh
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 11th March 2024, 14:08.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Back on this as a bit of time. Stripped down an old early efi dash to find out how easy they are to rebuild but found major differences in the existing and possible replacement. I have now found an efi from an old mate the same year so will swap over the mileometer and try that when I pick it up. The existing may have a faulty temperature gauge as it doesn't work properly and I've changed all else so this would be the last thing to try. Doesn't worry me about the crack and broken clear plastic as the existing is good
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 29th February 2024, 11:59.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Ducts now fitted as is the buzzer alarm. Heat now blasts out to the screen area so happy days. Front windscreen removal next then sort the minor problem that sometimes accurs in that the rev counter sometimes doesn't work now or bounces so possibly an issue with the dash. I have another on its way to me so I can check it in a couple of weeks so see what that does
    On another good note, it started on the button
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 27th October 2023, 13:40.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Ducts turned up today so if it's not raining I should be able to fit, wire in the buzzer and possibly put the dash back in

Leave a comment:

Working...
X