• Today was clean up day
      Attached Files
      1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
      1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
      1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
      2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
      2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

• All black metal parts were cleaned, rubbed down, primered and painted with a first coat of matt black
        Attached Files

Comment

• New gearbox seals in, torn seatbase replaced, MG engine plate painted, everything else now done so now waiting for the engine to be completed
          Attached Files

Comment

• Looking good! Interestingly those plates look to be the same as the MG badge on the 1600 air cleaner cover..I've resisted the temptation to try to unglue one & find out though...

Comment

• Its a piece of plastic just over an inch long and sits on the boost pipe bracket. Getting a rare part now

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
                Its a piece of plastic just over an inch long and sits on the boost pipe bracket. Getting a rare part now
                Thinking about it the 1600 air cleaner badges are probably just as rare these days, they look pretty much the same, epc doesn't list it as a separate part though.

Comment

• Been awhile. The guy doing the engine has had problems but it has been stripped down and needed much. But with a stroke of luck I've managed to buy a new old stock engine. It's an efi engine so I will have to change the pistons, con rod bearings and oil pump but happy days
                  Attached Files

Comment

• That's certainly not something you see very often these days! Great find & I guess the efi parts won't be too hard to move on either, as they seem to be getting harder to find now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doctordiesel77 View Post
                      That's certainly not something you see very often these days! Great find & I guess the efi parts won't be too hard to move on either, as they seem to be getting harder to find now.
                      Yep, friend of got in touch about something else and got talking, he has this spare after buying it in 2013. Managed to locate the correct con rod bearings and the seller has two sets so will buy both, all else should crossover. Happy days so far and picking up the engine Saturday, that should save quite a bit of money for my son. Will be selling the efi pistons and conrod bearings once i've stripped it down to find out if they're any good or not

Comment

• Oil pump gasket sorted as Rimmers sell those for just over £5, new sump gasket, rear crank seal, oil filler tube gasket, new core plugs all found in my spares. Con rod bearings now on way to me, the guy could only locate one set but only one set is enough, and quite cheap at that. Doing your research goes a long way as does actually talking to people instead of emailing. Will also be picking up the stripped engine next week

Comment

• That's the new engine stripped down, unfortunately the piston rings are not the same, the con rod bearings are though so that's a bonus. Lovely clean bores and crank. I've also taken both blocks to the fabricators I use to have the new block drilled and reamed for the turbo oil return pipe the runs from the rear of the block, I've also asked them if the can't remove the existing pipework as i believe it's sweated in, then please fabricate another and braise it in.
                          Rimmers sell new piston rings and a woodfuff key as I knackered that trying to get it out so I could remove the oil pump, so some good news some not so good.its also a carb engine and not efi as I thought
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 26th December 2021, 10:22.

Comment

• New block all done, so it's cleaning time. Pistons and oil pump, also started painting the block. Trip up to Rimmers for the piston rings but they only had two in stock so I've ordered the other two, also picked up the new crank key. With my 10% discount that was quite a saving. Will be selling on the new oil pump and pistons that came with the engine so if anyone is interested let me know. Pistons include piston rings and is part number UAM1366 for single carb models, Advantage, early carb engines, VP etc. The oil pump, GLP132/LPF000132EVAP for carb and EFi models, Maestro and Montego, will be much cheaper than the £117 Rimmers are selling them for https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-LPF000132EVAP
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 17th December 2021, 15:37.

Comment

• Turbo return pipe, I'm very happy not to do this
                              Attached Files

Comment

• As there isn't anything wrong with it I cleaned the waterpump, made a new gasket, re-tapped all treads on the block, cleaned and painted both pulleys (crank and waterpump), painted oil feed tubes, cleaned all nuts, bolts, washers and cleaned up all threads, cleaned flywheel, painted sump with 6 coats of black and will do some more yet. Ran out of red engine paint that I use so will have to wait till that gets here next week to carry on.

Comment

Working...
                                X