No announcement yet.

1984 MG Montego EFi with digidash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• last split pin on then I found two wires broken while putting in the gearbox oil, getting brittle with age no doubt
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 25th January 2020, 14:12.
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

• More going on , love new parts. Also put back the tray in the glovebox so thats tidy, I've also started to clean out the interior as it's got many parts scattered about. Will have to redo the gearbox next unfortunately
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 25th January 2020, 13:19.

Comment

• After seeing the oil probe wires broken and the gearbox not engaging properly I got a little pissed of with it. I wasn't sure if it was because there wasn't any gearbox oil in it but its now full and still wont engage properly, never had this problem before. Gearbox will have to come out again and i'm not sure yet if its the clutch or something in the gearbox. The was a change in the clutch in 1985 so I'm not sure if this one is incorrect. I do have another gearbox, probe and clutch so will be removing the spare gearbox from my spare engine and also removing the spare probe in the morning.
        Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 25th January 2020, 13:22.

Comment

• Car been fighting back??

Comment

• Originally posted by Doctordiesel77 View Post
            Car been fighting back??
            Yep.Quite a lot, thought the gearbox problem was due to no oil in, obviously not. Clutch arm is working ok, selector is working but the gearbox isn't engaging gears properly. Just makes a whirring/griding noise. I've checked all that i can without taking the gearbox back out but it seems that's the only way to find whats going on, I'm guessing its the clutch
            Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 25th January 2020, 14:10.

Comment

• That's depressing. (no pun intended!).

Comment

• Yep. Three steps forward and two back. Shouldnt take long in getting parts off my spare engine etc but it will be awhile before I can restart on this car. Oh well

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post

Yep.Quite a lot, thought the gearbox problem was due to no oil in, obviously not. Clutch arm is working ok, selector is working but the gearbox isn't engaging gears properly. Just makes a whirring/griding noise. I've checked all that i can without taking the gearbox back out but it seems that's the only way to find whats going on, I'm guessing its the clutch
                  I'm sure that you'll have thought of this already, but thought I'd mention it 'cos it once happened to me....I was absolutely convinced that the shafts were properly engaged in the diff splines, but they weren't... it did exactly what you describe and I only realised what had happened when I started taking them back out to check clutch. If I remember rightly it was the long shaft...looked right, felt right, but was just missing the splines...worth another look maybe, before taking it all back to bits.. speedo drive should be turning if that is the problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doctordiesel77 View Post

I'm sure that you'll have thought of this already, but thought I'd mention it 'cos it once happened to me....I was absolutely convinced that the shafts were properly engaged in the diff splines, but they weren't... it did exactly what you describe and I only realised what had happened when I started taking them back out to check clutch. If I remember rightly it was the long shaft...looked right, felt right, but was just missing the splines...worth another look maybe, before taking it all back to bits.. speedo drive should be turning if that is the problem.
                    Thanks John. I did try that, I tried hammering the driveshafts towards the gearbox and they do look 'home' with no gap but will remove both and put back in again. Have to remove them anyway so with luck.
                    tomorrow is getting the probe and gearbox/clutch from my spare engine though I have located a nos probe from one of my suppliers. No Idea what he's gonna charge though as I've given him a list. Two new sunroof seals he has in stock, different part number but they're all the same, though I have had an enquiry about selling one on, small grey plastic grommets and a few other rare parts he has in stock. Will find out Monday what the bill is.

Comment

• The bill arrived and not too bad at all. a few NOS grey kickplate grommets, black bumper finisher for my sons efi, oil probe and a few other things, all under £70 including post and now on their way here. Unfortunately he couldn't find the 2 sunroof seals he has on stock, but he may in the future, i've learned to be patient.

Comment

• Digging out the door cards that will be going on the car, some are damaged but not all
                        Attached Files

Comment

• As this one was no good at all, I stripped it down. Not a difficult job, so that got me thinking I could swop the Marle Deco material to another door card
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Was quite easy in the end, I stripped down an old front door card and successfully removed the inner fabric without damaging the door card vinyl so will swop over the cards. I have a mint set of the later door cards but will give those to my son and use his from his MG Montego Turbo as they're not too bad. I only need the front pair so happy days
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Well decided to chance my mint doorcards, only get one go at this
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Both done and came out not to shabby at all, well pleased, sorting the driveshaft/gearbox problem tomorrow as i've had quite a bit of work cancelled due to you know what
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X