Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doctordiesel77
    replied
    A bit more progress today, now oil pump and filter filled with oil before fitting the sump. I'll have to try to avoid knocking too much paint off when putting the rest of the bits on!.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Doctordiesel77
    replied
    All good news apart from POL being cancelled then. I'm always amazed at the number of times something you need turns up when you're looking for bits & bobs for someone else

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Just to let you know, Pol has been cancelled, no rush to pick up the engine though
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 4th April 2024, 15:31.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Your in luck, not seized , I put in new core plugs at the time too. Bores look ok to me so just needs checking and a clean , no idea about the shells. Sump has a dent but that's not a problem. I'd also forgotten it was sitting on 2 brand new front turbo struts so that's a good find for my son
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 4th April 2024, 13:55.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Originally posted by Doctordiesel77 View Post

Be daft not to... Cheers Jeff!
    Ok, will bring to POL next week, if it's not flooded out by then lol

Leave a comment:

• Doctordiesel77
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
    Here John, this is why we are gurus lol, you'll need these pipes and breather. The blue pipe was the last one Wright's of Lincoln had at the time. If you don't have any you can have these and from memory a good sump unless you want the free engine aswell as I don't need it and it's probably seized by now but maybe of use to you. Your engine is definitely from 1989 onwards to the end of production
    Be daft not to... Cheers Jeff!

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Here John, this is why we are gurus lol, you'll need these pipes and breather. The blue pipe was the last one Wright's of Lincoln had at the time. If you don't have any you can have these and from memory a good sump unless you want the free engine aswell as I don't need it and it's probably seized by now but maybe of use to you. Your engine is definitely from 1989 onwards to the end of production
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 2nd April 2024, 14:21.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied

Yes, quite odd, it has one on the front too, bolted to the sump & the one on the back has a tube inside the crankcase next to the oil pickup pipe...it had me staring at the parts list for a while, 'cos I couldn't think of a good reason for having both....
    Well they aren't turbo pistons and the oil return does have a different angle. I think I have a late Montego EFi engine somewhere in my spares, I will have a look and see what that looks like for you.

Leave a comment:

• Doctordiesel77
    replied

Ah got it now, late models moved the breather to the rear so that maybe why I can see the pipe at the rear
    Yes, quite odd, it has one on the front too, bolted to the sump & the one on the back has a tube inside the crankcase next to the oil pickup pipe...it had me staring at the parts list for a while, 'cos I couldn't think of a good reason for having both....

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied

Yes, I think the oil pump innards are most likely ok (unless engine has been rebuilt in the past & old pump reused), but it'll be easier to fit a new one than clean the old one up. Engine is a fairly late model Efi as far as I can tell, but no engine number, so not easy to date with any degree of certainty...
    Ah got it now, late models moved the breather to the rear so that maybe why I can see the pipe at the rear

Leave a comment:

• Doctordiesel77
    replied
    That looks much better, are you also changing the oil pump as that looks like it needs changing? That a turbo engine John with the oil return at the rear?
    Yes, I think the oil pump innards are most likely ok (unless engine has been rebuilt in the past & old pump reused), but it'll be easier to fit a new one than clean the old one up. Engine is a fairly late model Efi as far as I can tell, but no engine number, so not easy to date with any degree of certainty...

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    That looks much better, are you also changing the oil pump as that looks like it needs changing? That a turbo engine John with the oil return at the rear?

Leave a comment:

• Doctordiesel77
    replied
    Block cleaned up, painted & sludge hosed out of the water jacket, I wrapped big end journals with denso tape before turning the hose on it.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Doctordiesel77
    replied
    Made a bit of progress dismantling engine, the induction heater came in very handy for getting the cam drive sprocket off, it seemed to have been loctited & came off very easily once heated past 300 centigrade. Piston-bore clearance seems to be at the tight end of the tolerances, ring gaps pretty much in the middle, so didn't really need to be dismantled. There seems to be a fair bit of sludge in the waterways though, a good clean out will do no harm. A good look beats a good guess anyway!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Coming on a treat Dr D

Leave a comment:

Working...
X