Maestro motorsport historical archive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maestro motorsport historical archive

Hello to all thread readers and contributors.
    First of all thanks for the compliments from the likes of G51_NAV and MG_MAL.
    In response to John_C's request for information, about Maestros in motor sport and the 1983 Rallysprint in particular, I have sent him a couple of disks.

The first is a CD I compiled about 8 years ago containing info about tuning Maestros and Montegos and their exploits in motor sport. I sold a few of these at the time, and it appears that EVO_AL obtained one, as material from the disk that I personally scanned in, including my own photos taken at the 1984 Rallysprint, and sheets detailing information about suspension specifications, are in these 2 threads:

Austin Rover "Rally Sprint" Rally Drivers v Grand Prix Drivers
    http://www.maestro.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=11941

MG Maestro and Montego Magazine Article Archive "Updated"
    http://www.maestro.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=11940

The second is a DVD which contains videos of 2 Rallysprints, plus downloaded YouTube video.
    The 1983 Rallysprint video is one I downloaded from a file-sharing site a couple of years ago. It is the same as the one on YouTube but better quality. The 8 Maestros in the race are still difficult to differentiate as most are silver or Zircon blue (+ Opaline green?), apart from Tony Pond in a white one and John Watson in a black one.
    The 1985 Rallysprint video is my own recording of the event, and followed a similar format to the 1984 one, although the event, and in particular the Montego race, was shrouded in fog as opposed to bright sunshine.
    I downloaded the videos I recently found on YouTube. Lots of stuff I had not seen before, including footage of the car I bought from Doug Dawe back in 1990. Most of it seems to have been put on by Pablo in the last 3 months, so thanks to Pablo for that. All my downloads in flv flash video and mp4 Mac format are on the disc, but I also converted to DivX/Xvid avi format, so that the disk can be played on a DivX compatible DVD player.

I have contacted someone who worked at Austin Rover and was involved in organising the Rallysprints, and I hope to provide his feedback soon,

JD

Comment

I'd just like to publicly say a huge 'thank you' to John Dalton & Ian Elliott (both ex Austin Rover) who have both been a tremendous help with their seminal contributions to the pool of info.

I've just opened today an envelope from Ian containing a complete gold mine of info on MG Maestro motorsport (including copies of original docs on the MG Maestro Challenge) etc., which are an excellent historical (and technical/tuning) resource (and must have taken a long time to compile and photocopy).

Thank you both very much indeed!
      Last edited by John C; 31st December 2011, 15:29.

Comment

Originally posted by John C View Post
        I'd just like to publicly say a huge 'thank you' to John Dalton & Ian Elliott (both ex Austin Rover) who have both been a tremendous help with their seminal contributions to the pool of info.

I've just opened today an envelope from Ian containing a complete gold mine of info on MG Maestro motorsport (including copies of original docs on the MG Maestro Challenge) etc., which are an excellent historical (and technical/tuning) resource (and must have taken a long time to compile and photocopy).

Thank you both very much indeed!
        Sounds great! Any plans to upload them for others? It would be much appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by H48HPE View Post
          Are you compiling a book / website with all this info John?

Its good that someone's looking into this while its still relatively clear in peoples minds...!

Andy
          Originally posted by Philip Young View Post
          Might make more of a website than a book, particularly if enlarged to cover other years and other Leyland models - the Rallysprint events as a series. Also cheaper to put together, and, we wont be waiting years to see the final result!
          I agree that a website 'online museum' would be best. It would be a disaster if all this history can't be captured for posterity. It would be great if it could form the basis of a book in due course, but it would best be done by someone ex Austin Rover like John Dalton or Ian Elliott, I reckon.

Comment

There's some interesting discussion (+ photo) about MG Maestro racing on the 1st two pages of this thread:

MGF race car for sale
            http://www.mgfregister.org/forum/vie...d0d54c1f754b3b

Comment

Working...
            X