X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• normanmg2000
    replied
    heat shield

john,when you have a minute, could you photograph the heat shield, perhaps with a few measurements would like to make one.

Leave a comment:

• John C
    replied
    Mark did the following today:
    -painted the carbs with aluminium heat resisting paint
    -refitted them, adding in the fibre-board heatshield (that I also painted with the same stuff
    -fitted a new gasket between the manifold and the downpipes (with some paste to stop a slight blow that was noted at the 1st attempt today)

Leave a comment:

• John C
    replied
    You prompted me to do some digging, and sadly it seems that you are right:
    http://www.msauk.org/site/cms/newsar...ter=1&nid=1581

This is the right problem but the wrong solution from the MSA, and will achieve negligible safety improvements for a lot of extra expense (and will contribute to the decline of rallying which they have presided over during the last few years).

Leave a comment:

• John C
    replied
    Is that for ALL rally cars now?

Up until now there has been a dispensation for rally cars logbooked prior to 2009 (which were allowed to run with FIA 'out of date' seats)

Leave a comment:

• g200mss #146
    replied
    The seat rules just changed. They need to be FIA approved and in date come 2014

Leave a comment:

• John C
    replied
    Update from Russell:
    "I cleaned engine of all the lose paint, degreased and rubbed down with wire wool. Painted in red/orange engine paint ( it had 4 coats ) .
    Degreased the inlet manifold on the pink panther and polished"

Update of work done by Mark:
    Fit FIA seats (they don't have to be in date). -get Forest Sierra's seats up from Class Racing & source brackets to fit them to MG. The brackets had to be turned the other way round to cope with the differing widths of the seats.
    Springs fitted to keep boot closed

2 Harness bolts fitted under each seat (to enable 6 pt harnesses to be used)
    Last edited by John C; 15th September 2013, 14:33.

Leave a comment:

• John C
    replied
    I started repainting the manifold with

Cat code: 594531
    Halfords Very High Temperature Paint Metallic Red 300ml

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...Id_165495#tab1

despite it clashing a bit with the pink.

Russell degreased, rust-treated it and then keyed the surface with wire wool.
    He noted that it had previously been painted as follows (in order from oldest to newest):
    Head: Violet, Yellow, Black, Red (the colour that we found it in)
    Block: Violet, Red

He then painted the engine block with
    Cat code: 325126
    Halfords High Temperature Engine Enamel Paint Red 250ml

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165495

It is nothing like the colour indicated on the lid (a normal mid to dark red) -it is actually an orangey red in practice (which goes quite well with the exhaust manifold, fortuitously. After 4 coats it is looking pretty awesome.
    Last edited by John C; 11th September 2013, 20:57.

Leave a comment:

• John C
    replied
    All was going well this eve -welded a screwdriver onto the broken-off stud extractor and (with a lot of wiggling back and forth + re-welding) got the stud remnants out. About to refit the exhaust manifold but then it became clear that it wouldn't seal up tight against the engine block. The problem was the mating face was corroded so we decided to get it skimmed flat at this firm (hopefully in time to refit it on Saturday):
    Doublewood Engineering
    Address: 4 Station Rd, Witham CM8 2TJ 01376 517337

Mark also changed the gearbox oil (there was plenty in it and the oil didn't look in bad condition which is good news).

Leave a comment:

• John C
    replied
    Porting/polishing visible
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• John C
    replied
    Had another productive session on the car last night:
    -K&N filters oiled and re-installed
    -Brake system reworked (using additional lengths of piping) to split it. Now the system has a Front circuit and a Rear circuit (so if there is a leak somewhere you will still have 2 wheels with working brakes!).
    -Brakes bled with Comma DOT 5.1 synthetic brake fluid (top of the range)
    -pedal appears to be somewhat firmer (but need to road test it now to confirm)
    -Rear nearside brake line properly secured
    -12V socket rewired so that it is always live (even with Master Kill switch thrown) so that a solar battery charger can be used (or the alarm powered) while the car is parked up.
    -Bonnet stay (from a Discovery) fitted
    -Cockpit labelling finished
    Attached Files
    Last edited by John C; 22nd August 2013, 03:56.

Leave a comment:

• John C
    replied
    Mark was over this evening and got the exhaust manifold off although it took a stud snapping in the block before it yielded. The stud remover then also snapped in the hole, so it will take welding a bar onto the stud to get it out now.

The original snapped stud in the manifold sheared off with a stud extractor so it was drilled out and re-tapped.

The Ign pull cable was tighted up (by unbolting its alloy mounting plate). I also put some copper slip on any areas of bare metal underneath for corrosion proofing.
    I went round the engine bay and put Alpha Rust Remover onto all the areas of rust that I could get to (although there are more under the radiator which are inaccessible).

We ascertained that the braking system is not actually split at the moment (which maybe why the pedal goes half down) so a leak anywhere will result in no brakes at all (except the handbrake)

As such, we are going to do a bit of re-piping to make it split front to rear.

Leave a comment:

• John C
    replied
    Yesterday Luke Tz polished the whole car's exterior and cleaned/polished inside and out of all glass/perspex.
    Yesterday/today I put on 2 Pink Panther decals on windows and 1 massive one on the roof!
    Today, Luke R tried to get the exhaust manifold off as it has broken a stud -it eventually loosened but wouldn't come off. He cleaned up parts of the engine bay & cleaned the spark plugs (they are 4 electrode plugs that are factory-gapped for life).
    He also made a spacer to stop the battery bouncing beneath the lid of its box, and screwed the lid down better.
    I finished changing the Ignition cut off lead (after oiling all the way down the cable sleeve to prevent it rusting solid), although we couldn't quite get the nut under the handle done up tight as it was so inaccessible).
    Also modified the handheld fire extinguisher's bracket to make it more secure & cleaned rust off the spare cylinder head gasket
    Last edited by John C; 4th August 2013, 20:14.

Leave a comment:

• John C
    replied
    The car's been stood in a lot of rainfall recently, but it only appeared to be wet:
    a) Where the offside rear seat squab would normally go (except this car is stripped out inside)
    b) Along the seam where the boot floor meets the vertical wall (below the bottom of the boot hatch)

I finally got round to washing it and it will now have a Halfords cover on it. As always, when you look at the paintwork in detail you see all the marks, scuffs and rust bubbles -it needs a lot of little bits & bobs doing to tidy it up, but at least it definitely won't need a full respray so it should be easy enough to do.

Leave a comment:

• John C
    replied
    Here's the write up from Chris Vosper (of RAF Benson) who I also co-drove for on the above event (in his black Pug 205 -which proved quite similar in pace to the MG -often finishing consecutively on the timesheets!):
    chelmsfordmc.co.uk/TargaRally/Wethersfield13

My first go at a Targa Rally was always going to be a voyage of discovery, I wasn’t entirely sure what to expect. On first impressions, the event was well organised but comfortably laid back, with none of the stress of other more tightly controlled events. There was plenty of friendly advice and banter in the paddock and I felt pretty at ease.
    It wasn’t long before John and I lined up on the start line. Having his expertise in the nav seat made my life considerably easier; a less experienced co-driver would have left a few more gaps in my limited understanding of what was happening.
    Having driven, rather than trailered my trusty Peugeot 205 GTi to the event, I elected to take the first Stage at a “steady” pace – I needed it in tact for the journey home. We set off at a modest pace so I could get a feel for the state of the surface and avoid damaging the car in any dips or ruts. I also wanted to get a feel for the flow of the course. You may not be carrying much speed, maybe up to 50mph in places, but the work rate was pretty high. The next corner is almost immediately upon you exit the previous one and it’s as much of a work out for the nav as the driver with keeping up with the course.
    The first run over, I had a chance to process what had happened and asked around for a few driving tips. One question I had was how often should the handbrake be used on the course. Despite the advice to use it sparingly, I decided to make maximum use of it on the second outing for my own practice and, above all, because it’s fun. I was more interested in having a whale of a time than trying to be competitive at my first Targa.
    Unfortunately, due to overheating problems with the car, I had to retire 2/5 the way through the day. However, it was a great experience, alot of fun and very good value for money at just £50 for the day. I will definitely be doing another one soon.

Leave a comment:

• John C
    replied
    -more pics
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X