Jag XJ3.2 SPORT FOR MG MONTY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jag XJ3.2 SPORT FOR MG MONTY

Hi all,I realy fancy an XJ 3.2 sport 1990's model.Anyone on here know anyone who has one that would like to do a deal with my lovely MG Monty.Cheers Alan.Have seen plenty on autotrader and ebay from £700 - £1500.Thought i'd give you guys a shout first.

Originally posted by PIRTEKMAN View Post
    Hi all,I realy fancy an XJ 3.2 sport 1990's model.Anyone on here know anyone who has one that would like to do a deal with my lovely MG Monty.Cheers Alan.Have seen plenty on autotrader and ebay from £700 - £1500.Thought i'd give you guys a shout first.
    Hi Mate, I own a few nineties Jaguar XJ's including two 3.2 Sport models, one an XJ40 type (1987-1994), the other an X300 type (1994-1997), amongst others. The X308 models ran from 1997-2003 so there are three different types of models through the nineties that were sold, which ones are you looking at? The XJ40 & X300's have 6 cylinder engines whereas the X308 is the first of the V8 models. If you are looking at owning one of these cars and are new to Jaguars then I highly recommend you go for a 6 cylinder engine as they are becoming desirable and are easier to work on. I don't have any of mine for sale or that I would trade you I'm afraid but if you need any help with your decisions then give me a shout as I've owned many Jaguar XJ's.
    Good luck with your search.

Comment

Originally posted by MGMatt View Post
      Hi Mate, I own a few nineties Jaguar XJ's including two 3.2 Sport models, one an XJ40 type (1987-1994), the other an X300 type (1994-1997), amongst others. The X308 models ran from 1997-2003 so there are three different types of models through the nineties that were sold, which ones are you looking at? The XJ40 & X300's have 6 cylinder engines whereas the X308 is the first of the V8 models. If you are looking at owning one of these cars and are new to Jaguars then I highly recommend you go for a 6 cylinder engine as they are becoming desirable and are easier to work on. I don't have any of mine for sale or that I would trade you I'm afraid but if you need any help with your decisions then give me a shout as I've owned many Jaguar XJ's.
      Good luck with your search.
      Hi Matt,thanks for the info,I have been looking a lot at them lately and have noticed the change from inline 6 to v8.I think as you say an inline 6 would be easier to work on.I have been looking at these 3 on ebay.
      http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JAGUAR-XJ-...item20c4859b53

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STUNNING-1...item27c5ae25fa

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-XJ6...item231bc4ee81

Don't really want to buy one whilst i still have my monty as i have 1954 standard vanguard also so have no room.Cheers Alan.

Comment

Hi Matt,thanks for the info,I have been looking a lot at them lately and have noticed the change from inline 6 to v8.I think as you say an inline 6 would be easier to work on.I have been looking at these 3 on ebay.
        http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JAGUAR-XJ-...item20c4859b53

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STUNNING-1...item27c5ae25fa

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-XJ6...item231bc4ee81

Don't really want to buy one whilst i still have my monty as i have 1954 standard vanguard also so have no room.Cheers Alan.
        Hi Alan,

Well you seem to know what you want then mate, the 3 ebay links you've attached are all X300 models, and these are the ones to go for. The previous generation XJ40 is still a great car, but the X300 is more stylish imo and has the very last AJ16 6 cylinder engines, which were a further developement of the AJ6's which were used in the XJ40's. The later X308 V8 engined models are also superb, but they do have lots of issues with them and if you don't know what to look for then I suggest you stay clear.
        I've had a look at the links for you and if I were to narrow down my search out of the 3 I'd be looking at the 2 Carnival red Sport models, It's a great colour and my X300 3.2 Sport is this colour aswell. The one with 74000 miles might possibly win me over in the end, it's a lovely looking car and looks to be in overall excellent condition inside and out.
        Don't however be put off by the other car because of the higher mileage, it will still drive as good as the other one and will still last many years aswell. That one also looks in superb condition with only light wear to the drivers seat bolster (very common on any Jaguar), has full history and all the keys aswell. It's very hard to choose between the two, they are both fantastic looking cars and you would be happy with either one of them.
        The sport models also have sport suspension and handle different to a similar standard XJ6, and also the seats are sportier and stylish aswell along with the dark wood.
        Full leather interior was also an optional cost extra on the X300 Sport so avoid one with the standard half leather/cloth trim. Also the digital clock digits tend to pack up aswell so don't expect to find an X300 with the clock working properly but these can be fixed and don't be put off by this.
        Stick with the 3.2 aswell, you will have more choice and there is a big leap in insurance groups between the 3.2 and 4.0 engines.

I'll tell you now that once you drive one of these fantastic cars you'll never want to drive anything else, nothing comes close.

Matt

Comment

While I'm here, I've attached a picture each of my 1993 XJ40 3.2 Sport with only 47000 miles & my 1995 X300 3.2 Sport with 69000 miles. Both cars are currently in long term secure storage so hence why not the greatest pics I have of them. None of my cars are for sale.

Cheers, Matt.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by MGMatt; 7th April 2012, 16:50.

Comment

Here are my 2 Jaguar XJR's, the range topping 4.0 supercharged models. One is an 1996 X300 (X306) model with 46000 miles, the other is an X308 V8 model with 43000 miles. Both are Carnival red, have now got private XJR registration plates and are in Long term storage for future collection.
            Attached Files

Comment

Here are another 2 classic XJ's I own, both XJ12 models with the mighty 6.0 V12 engine. One is a 1994 XJ40 (XJ81) XJ12 with 70000 miles, the other is a 1994 X300 (X305) XJ12 with 88000 miles, again both in storage.
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the advice.You have a lovely collection of cars there.I'll be happy with one I think.Cheers Alan

Comment

And finally, here are my Daimler models, based upon the Jaguar XJ and all with the 4 litre AJ16 engine. They are all X300 models but as they are all long wheel base they all have the designation of X330. One is a 1995 Daimler Six which is my occasional use car, another one is a 1997 Daimler Six which is in storage and the other one is a 1996 Daimler Century model which is a limited special edition to celebrate 100 years of the Daimler Motor Company and is one of 100 4.0 6 cylinder cars produced.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the advice.You have a lovely collection of cars there.I'll be happy with one I think.Cheers Alan
                    Your welcome with the advice and thanks for your compliment, if I can help with anything else let me know. One Jag should be enough for anyone lol! It's because I'm a collector aswell is why I have the others! Cheers, Matt.

Comment

They're stunning Matt - could I have another pic of the X305 please, I've never seen Jaguarsport wheels on an X300 body car before and they look pretty good from what I can see! (And are they Kiwis on your X300 Sport?)

Which do you prefer to drive, XJ40s, X300s or X308s? My own experience is limited to an X300 3.2 Sport but I loved the thing - also the easiest car I've ever manouvred in a tight space.
                      Sam Skelton

RED995R - Triumph Stag - Once shot by Sir Patrick Stewart.
                      E225CMV - Austin Montego 2.0HL - "Like an MG on weed!"
                      H475PDA - Rover Montego DSLX auto - Possibly unique
                      J615NJU - SAAB 9000 2.3 Turbo - Replacing gearbox. Then selling..
                      L384WRH - Citroen XM TCT SEi auto - The Starship Francoprise...
                      OV02MZY - Volvo V70 T5 SE - Replaced by above. For sale soon.
                      PA02DXB - Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE auto - Bought because it was cheap. Fleet getting out of hand now.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Slow View Post
                        They're stunning Matt - could I have another pic of the X305 please, I've never seen Jaguarsport wheels on an X300 body car before and they look pretty good from what I can see! (And are they Kiwis on your X300 Sport?)

Which do you prefer to drive, XJ40s, X300s or X308s? My own experience is limited to an X300 3.2 Sport but I loved the thing - also the easiest car I've ever manouvred in a tight space.
                        Thankyou Sam for your compliment. I've attached a couple more pics of the X305 here, if you want some larger ones for yourself pm me with you email address. The alloy wheels on this car are XJS Celebration wheels and are what this car had come with when new. Being a 1994 year model it was one of the first X300's available and I guess that Jaguar used alloys from other newly discontinued models of the time before using the later range standard ones. My X300 3.2 Sport does indeed have the XJ40 Kiwi Alloy wheels, these ones are the version with the removeable centre cover over the bolts which were used on the XJ40 Sovereign. The Dimple alloys became the usual later standard for this car but again my Sport is an early car, It does'nt even have a front passenger Glovebox which became standard fit a few months later!

Well I've driven more X300 variants than any other XJ and love how they drive and perform, the XJ40 is nearly just as good but the X300 is better overall. The X308's drive similar but the V8's have do have more power for the equivalant power engine output, but they are far more complex cars to own than the 6 cylinder cars, the straight sixes really do stand the test of time.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Very nice collection Matt. You are one lucky man. I personally couldn't afford to have so much money tied up cars I never use. But I'd love to be able to.
                          Regards
                          John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
                          MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

xj's are lovely cars i have driven most of the range, the v12 is a bit of a disapiontment to me though (guess i have been spolit by the supercharged cars) a guy i work with, who has been with jag since 1992, says a 2.9 manual would keep with a 6.0 v12 up to 110. x350 xjr is a great car though i would be happy with a x350 xj8 with the smaller 3.5 v8 (not much between the 3.5 and 4.2 n/a engines)

What puts me off the x308 is the plastic timing chain tensioners which do break up.
                            I will have a x351 5.0 supersport one day, i think its the niceset car i have ever driven much better than the xfr. It handles and drives like a much smaller car hwne on the road. I know many people dont like the looks but i think that makes the car more appeling to me.

Would like to try a x300 xjr manual only ever driven autos

Comment

Originally posted by G51 NAV View Post
                              Very nice collection Matt. You are one lucky man. I personally couldn't afford to have so much money tied up cars I never use. But I'd love to be able to.
                              Hi John, I'm only lucky as circumstances at the moment allow me to have these cars, and to a certain extent, allow me to do what I want to do, I don't have a missus currently now so will carry on with my hobbies regardless, but I have got to where I want to with the cars so it's time for me to start saving and thinking about other future things in life. If I had money tied up in a property now I would'nt be able to have what I have.

Cheers mate, Matt.

Comment

Working...
                              X