MG Z Car Bulbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
    When I change the front light bulbs on my ZT I don't remove the wheel.
    Turn in and it gives you enough room to remove the inspection hatch on the front of the inner wheel arch. Did the nearside yesterday in 15 minutes and that included cleaning the hatch

Next show we meet at Jeff, bring your ZT. I'd like to watch you do this in 15 mins, so I'll know what to do next time! PS as mentioned above, I did it on the deck with steering on full lock and it was a pig! You can't see what you are doing and can only use one hand to feel your way in and screw it in. Even on full lock space is very limited as your whole arm needs to be under the wheel arch. You did very well to do it in 15 mins on the deck....ever thought of taking up midwithery?

PS thinking about it, I'm not sure how long the ZT took me. It was during a lunch break. I reckon it may have been not a lot more than 15 mins, but to be honest, 15 mins to change a bulb is ridiculous! It should take a max of 2 mins! I know at the end of it my hands were cut and dirty and it was very frustrating. It may have been easier if I lay on the ground, but I had shirt and tie on etc. I just thought next time jack it up and take the wheel off.....
    Last edited by Jumturbo; 13th April 2012, 22:44.
    sigpic
    63 MG6 Magnette TSE 'Union Blue' Brand new!
    'G' MG Montego Turbo 'Rover Wimbledon Green' owned since 97'
    '56' MG ZTT160 Silver (GT56ZTT) Now sold
    '05' MG ZR115TDSE Red (Hers)
    'W' TR7V8 Will be 1980 Manx Tarmac Rally Replica
    '56' Buell Firebolt XB12R Blue/Gold
    'H' Montego 2.0SLX Turbo White (H11RBO) sold

Comment

Originally posted by Oli View Post
      Doing the headlight bulbs on my ZT is a job i personally dread!

On another note i seem to go through a set (of decent!!) bulbs every 2 months???? any ideas.

Could be that you touched the actual bulb glass. I you do this the bulb usually will only last a couple of months. I always clean the glass with a piece of kitchen roll and if I need to touch the glass, wrap it in kitchen roll first.

PS by contrast, all the bulbs on the Montego are a joy to change! Front indicators a piece of piddle! All rears a piece of piddle too and the headlights/sidelight a sinch!
      sigpic
      63 MG6 Magnette TSE 'Union Blue' Brand new!
      'G' MG Montego Turbo 'Rover Wimbledon Green' owned since 97'
      '56' MG ZTT160 Silver (GT56ZTT) Now sold
      '05' MG ZR115TDSE Red (Hers)
      'W' TR7V8 Will be 1980 Manx Tarmac Rally Replica
      '56' Buell Firebolt XB12R Blue/Gold
      'H' Montego 2.0SLX Turbo White (H11RBO) sold

Comment

manfactors seems to forget about the bulbs when designing cars. When the xf came out in 2008 many people said it was a great car but a shame that the front head lights dont look like the concept. That said 3 easy to remove 10mm bolts and the head lamps out of the car and the bulbs can be changed easily. same is true of a pre 2012 model xk.

2012 model year cars have much nicer to look at head lamps but now the front bumpers need to be removed before you can remove the head lamps, and due to the designs you cannot remove the bulbs unless the head lamps are removed.

going back to my RAC days the worse bulbs i changed were on a vauxhall corsa d. It was on a slip road on to the A5. both bulbs and one side light had blown. Driver didnt notice until going doen the slip road and onto the unlit A5. told me about 30 mins a side may have been better if it wasnt dark and raining but still a bad design

Comment

I liked the lights on the original XF, having never seen the concept. I don't really like the new ones as they look too narrow and squinty for such a big car. What's wrong with a nice big headlight?

Of course if you want a 4-cyl 2.2D or one of the newly announced Sportbrake (estate) you can only get one with the squinty lights.

Comment

yes thats right, you could of course replace the front bumper and headlights with the prevoius design though.

we should be getting a tourer/estate/stationwagon/sportbrake sooner or later. We had 2012 model xf's about 2 months before we were allowed to sell them

Comment

Working...
            X