Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rover 220 turbo coupe

Hi all,

Just been offered a 220 turbo M reg with 82,000 in red for around £500. Have had no dealings with these. Are they worth buying, and are they reliable?

Any info would be welcome. Thanks

Originally posted by Buncey View Post
    Hi all,

Are they worth buying, and are they reliable?
    Yes and yes!

Look for rust as with any car of that age. Mechanically they are ok: leaking oil from the back of the head gasket is common but can be lived with in most cases. Only real weak spot with the turbo version is the gearbox: it doesn't withstand a) being run low on oil, b) hard use, especially if the engine has been modified for more power, c) both!

Getting rare now, as the running gear is popular for conversions for lesser vehicles.

Plenty of info is available on www.rover200.org.uk
    1983 (Y) MG 1600
    1985 MG EFi with digital dash (owned since 1987)
    1987 700 City 1.6 Van
    1988 Tandy camper 2.0D
    1990 Advantage, just 29k on the clock
    1990 Clubman D
    1990 MG 2.0i (spares donor)

(all Maestros)

Daily drive: Rover 25 GTi

Weekend rave: Honda Civic Type R GT

Current projects: Allegro 1.7HLS, Allegro Equipe

Comment

I'll second all Paul's comments; by all accounts they're good cars. Only driven one R8 turbo, and then only briefly - but they are quick with a capital Q. And a capital U, I, C, and K as well.
      Sam Skelton

RED995R - Triumph Stag - Once shot by Sir Patrick Stewart.
      E225CMV - Austin Montego 2.0HL - "Like an MG on weed!"
      H475PDA - Rover Montego DSLX auto - Possibly unique
      J615NJU - SAAB 9000 2.3 Turbo - Replacing gearbox. Then selling..
      L384WRH - Citroen XM TCT SEi auto - The Starship Francoprise...
      OV02MZY - Volvo V70 T5 SE - Replaced by above. For sale soon.
      PA02DXB - Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE auto - Bought because it was cheap. Fleet getting out of hand now.

Comment

fastest production rover with 197 bhp, 0-60mph in 6.2 and top speed of 152mph (only rover with higher top speed is rover 75 v8 with 155mph)

as said the gearbox is a weak point(the one on my vitesse broke at 100,000 miles) its a pg1 but is stuggles with the torque. The turbo engine is the same reilable t series engine as in other rover turbos. Has oil leak probelms from cam seal, cam covers and on early cars head gaskets leak oil, modified gasket available which was fitted to later cars my 1998 vitesse has this fitted from the factory. (someone on hear will know when these modified gaskets were first fitted)

i had a n/a 2 litre one it was nice. £500 for a turbo is a good price. is it in good condition?

Comment

Hi,

Just been to look over the 220 turbo, and excellent advice thanks.
          The headgasket was leaking oil from the front. downpipe blowing, roof leaking. Body was not too bad for age, just a little rust on the wheelarches front and back.
          Thought I would leave this one.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
          X