Falling behind in car manufacturing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Falling behind in car manufacturing

Wasn't totally into this kind of stuff before but watching my kid being more into the upcoming Summer rather than having a healthy balance of both, worries me a lot.

What is going on in our education system (Western style) anyways?

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...for-uk-schools

If this is not a sign that we are falling behind in academics, I don't know what is?

Could this be the reason why car manufacturing rapidly growing in Eastern Asian countries (Japan excluded because they've been owning this stuff for a long time).

Isn't Kia the top 5 or 3 manufacturers of cars in the world now?

I think our education system really needs to shake up.

Yeah we are producing innovators who go on to create sites like Wikipedia, Math.com, StudyPug and the list goes on but we need more skilled students in Science and Math.

This is a very dangerous trend and if it continues, next thing you now, our grand kids are going to East Asia for an education and we for the first time in history probably, fall to #2.
    Last edited by EricLobster; 7th May 2017, 04:51.

It's not a "Western style" it's down to individual countries, Germany do things differently to us for instance. As for Eastern Asian car companies, Kia and Hyundai have been around for ages and the UK still have a large manufacturing base, even if it's mostly foreign owned (having said that by the end of the 70s most "British" car manufacturers (by volume) were foreign owned anyway - US or French - with only BL/AR as the major British manufacturer)... They'll be overtaken by the Indian Sub Continent in due course and if some people are to believed, by Africa after them... Once wages start rising manufacturing moves somewhere cheaper, that's always been the way of things...

Comment

Let's blame the teachers!

...again...
      M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
      Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
        Let's blame the teachers!

...again...
        - I wish it was that simple. It's not the teachers, is what they are being forced to teach. We need to revamp our education system entirely. We need to create more innovators and less 9-5 zombies in training.

Comment

Yes I agree, teachers can only teach what they are told to, the issue is that it's the wrong stuff... Whilst we are about it lets get rid of many of the universities, and many of the useless degrees they do and bring back Technical Colleges, we don't need 50%+ of young kids with degrees (many in useless subjects) but people with decent skills... At the moment the system is too loaded towards academic achievement instead of technical skills. It should be a combination of both like we used to have before the misguided changes made in the late 90s early 2000s...
          Last edited by Hobby; 6th May 2017, 08:15.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobby View Post
            bring back Technical Colleges, we don't need 50%+ of young kids with degrees (many in useless subjects) but people with decent skills... At the moment the system is too loaded towards academic achievement instead of technical skills. It should be a combination of both like we used to have
            Now that is a sensible post. More vocational training is a must. Not every student is an academic and most won't benefit from Far Eastern style "Math."

Vocational training will equip our students to ensure we won't fall behind in car manufacturing and indeed expand the range of goods that are "Made in Britain."

The main problem is funding. Numerous academies in the UK are feeling the pinch and in order to ease things some have dropped subjects like D&T and concentrated on the EBac subjects.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...ZKD-TLKdSaFNxA

An even more radical idea for educational reform would be the compulsory requirement for each and every school and academy in the UK to produce body panels and obsolete components for Maestros and Montegos.
            Last edited by Simon; 7th May 2017, 12:52.
            M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
            Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

My previous post was simply pointing out what happens as countries get richer, Simon, it was just as sensible... At no point did either of us "blame the teachers" as you suggested... We blamed the system which is something different altogether... I take it you are or used to be a teacher from your comments, but please don't read things into posts which aren't there... Teachers can only teach what they are told to by the Government so can't be held responsible for failings in the system (unless they are just plain bad at their job)...

I don't agree about funding as solely being the issue, New Labour changed the way the Higher Education was set up and encouraged everywhere to be a "university" and things went downhill fast from there... "Technology" qualifications, like apprenticeships sadly went out of fashion (partially funding but certainly not all related to that, it was just as much the public and Government perception of such qualifications) and instead we got degrees in "media" and the like. We are now seeing the results of this disastrous policy.
              Last edited by Hobby; 8th May 2017, 10:45.

Comment

Working...
              X