Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Website/Forum Updates...

Website Update

The website is currently undergoing some development for the benefit of you the ‘member’. This will include amongst other things a garage, gallery and new classifieds system for club members.

Whilst these are under development the forum is also due to see some subtle changes. Whilst we do not want to make major changes to the structure as it is such a successful community are there any areas the forum structure does not cover which you feel could be better catered for and could benefit the community as a whole? Or could certain sections be better structured for your needs?

I would be very interested in any ideas people have.

This is your chance to have your say!
    Rover 200 and 400 Owners Club (for wedge shape rovers, including coupe, tourer and cabriolet). - www.rover200.org.uk

Updates

Other than custom 'descriptions' (??) under the usernames and a choice of themes for the user, maybe a Welcome/Introduction forum for new members, and a specific forum for eBay autions? Unless others can suggest more, that seems to be all, now that the vbGarage and Galleries are being implemented.

The website itself could do with an overhaul, perhaps some more AustinRover graphics and press photo's/cheesy slogans? I've seen some great navigation bars on websites recently, using good colours, fonts, effects etc.

Also, maybe a change (or changing) header image would benefit?

HTH
    Last edited by D87SMW; 16th March 2005, 13:28. Reason: Adding more points.
    Steve Worsley

R514 RVJ - 1998 Rover Maestro 1.3 - Restoration
    VX12 EBG - 2012 MG-6 GT 1.8T SE - Stored
    J209 PEL - 1991 Rover Maestro 1.3 Clubman - Running

Comment

I like seeing my car on that header!! Mind you, it has been there a while!

Rich

Comment

Originally posted by MaestroSpecial

Also, maybe a change (or changing) header image would benefit?

HTH
        Great idea Steve. I like the current banner but perhaps a changing one would freshen the place up a little.

I'd like to see banners that represent all the different models. Perhaps the Maesto and Montego from each trim level or something like that.

I know it'll be a lot more work though!
        You can contact me by clicking here.
        Owner of E760 DRY - Mk. 2 Shantung Gold Maestro Vanden Plas 2.0 EFi

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done. - Sir Peter Ustinov.

Comment

A changing banner I can do quite easily, in fact I wrote something a while back we might put into use sooner or later that'll certainly brighten things up.
          Jonathan Sellars

1987 MG Maestro 2.0 EFi
          2011 Jaguar XJ

Comment

Dans wish list:

Website Banners - 12 of them one for each month. People from the forum can submit images to the committee who can decide which to use and when

Modifications section - To cater for a range of users from those who want to go faster to those who just want to add central door locking or alloy wheels or traffic alert etc., etc., to their monty or maesty.

FAQ section to be expanded - get people from the forum to write articles for it. Also perhaps linked to the modifications section a list of "how to...." articles for common modifications like adding central door locking, alloy wheels, re-cover head linings etc.

An "e-bay links" section as part of the recommended links and traders forum.

An "In the press" section or maybe just thread for articles/reviews etc

Reputation points to be implemented. - That way you can see whose advice is trust worthy and whose is perhaps not! Points awarded by forum members for good and interesting posts etc.

Moderation - Moderator status available to all paid up members of the club if they are approved by the committee, (rather than only open to committee members).

Removal of old inactive accounts from user database. - to free up good usernames and give na incentive for people to visit and post.

Restrict and record user name changes for all to see.

Change General mastro and montego name to Maestro and Montego Chat or something that sounds a bit more friendly.

The same for Off topic. Re-name to something like "Everything else"

Probably more later but my brains dried up at the moment.
            www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
            www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
            www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

I would say go easy on creating too many more sections, the more sections there are, the less likely it is that everyone will see all the posts. If they are in a section you look at anyway, you can have a quick glance to see if it interests you and either read or not read.

Oh yeah - 'Off Topic' could be called something more friendly as suggested above - maybe 'General Chat' or 'Banter' or even 'the Coffee Bar'. Some forums have a 'virtual bar' but somehow a coffee bar seems more appropriate for Maestro drivers! Can't speak for the Montys of course....

Comment

Any more wish lists?
                Rover 200 and 400 Owners Club (for wedge shape rovers, including coupe, tourer and cabriolet). - www.rover200.org.uk

Comment

I agree with BikerGran about not having too many sections, having seen this in action it fragmnents things too much and makes the forum harder to work through.

that idea about rating peoples advice was a good one, would help people who only visited the forum in an emergency when things are going wrong judge how much notice to give a persons post. I do think that should this feature be put into practice it would be wise to only allow it to activate after the person being rated has made more than say 20 posts (just to put new 'posters' at ease)

I was going to suggest a banner that changes monthly, I know its already been mentioned but I thought I'd chip a vote in for it. But please some different cars to those splattered all over the forums already, F170GGT is a nice car but you can get tired of seeing it. maybe old press photos and such would look good every so often?

perhaps some sort of official indication in your profile that you are a club member would be good too, just o show your dedicated!

cant think of much else, the forum seems ok at the moment.

Andy
                  CURRENT FLEET:
                  1986 (C) Montego 1.6 HL Estate - Owned since Feb 2011
                  1990 (H) Maestro 1.3 LX -Owned since December 2001
                  1978 (T) Chrysler Avenger 1.6GL - Owned since April 2011
                  2006 (06) Ford Focus Titanium 1.8 TDCi - Owned since Feb 2007
                  1972 (L) - Hillman Avenger 1500 Super - Owned Since July 2012

Comment

?

Originally posted by Skatiechik
                    Website Update

The website is currently undergoing some development for the benefit of you the ‘member’. This will include amongst other things a garage, gallery and new classifieds system for club members.

Whilst these are under development the forum is also due to see some subtle changes. Whilst we do not want to make major changes to the structure as it is such a successful community are there any areas the forum structure does not cover which you feel could be better catered for and could benefit the community as a whole? Or could certain sections be better structured for your needs?

I would be very interested in any ideas people have.

This is your chance to have your say!
                    What's the "Garage" bit for?

Comment

If you have a look I think at the Vb garage link it should become more obvious:
                      http://www.maestro.org.uk/forums/vbg...id=12&garage=9
                      It isn't open for business as such yet but there are a few people that have started to test it. Basically it is for club members to be able to write a profile on each car that they own if they so wish.

As for paid up club members being differentiated from the other forum only members then that is in the pipeline too I believe.
                      www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                      www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                      www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Originally posted by H48HPE
                        perhaps some sort of official indication in your profile that you are a club member would be good too, just o show your dedicated!
                        Andy
                        A LOT more than this will be happening in the near future. I am sorry I am not going to go into details as that would be spoiling the surprise for everyone However over the next month some parts of the website are due to be implemented. Some bits are currently in test mode at the moment by some club members so any problems can be ironed out. Unfortunately due to work commitments by myself and Jonathan, it is unfortunate everything can not be implemented at once as I envisaged it would be back in August (yes August, a lot of time and effort and thought has gone into the upgrade) to surprise everyone.

I have created a VBGarage to give an indication for club members on what the purpose is, and hopefully to set the standard. I believe Richard Gelder is also working on his at present to show people what is possible. I am certainly looking forward to reading everyones profiles when it goes live.

Please please carry on with comments on what you would like to see the forum cater for better in terms of structure and any ideas you may have for the website as a whole. I am also looking for contributions for the members section at the moment on the website, so if anyone wants to write something feel free to email me the contribution with pictures.

Comment

if anyone wants to write something
                          What kind of something? Technical, or about our cars or ourselves?

........ any excuse to get in print!

Comment

Originally posted by BikerGran
                            What kind of something? Technical, or about our cars or ourselves?

........ any excuse to get in print!

Both

Comment

Anymore wants, or people saying they like some of the ideas?

Comment

Working...
                              X