Hi all from Kent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RalphG View Post
    I had an 1800 Allagro Sport when I was somewhat younger. It had the Quartic (square) steering wheel. You car looks solid and remarkably rust free.

Whereabouts in Kent are you?
    Yeah the painter at the yard i work at said about them having square steering wheels lol
    Im from Northfleet mate.

Originally posted by Colonel Bogey View Post
    I had an Allegro in the mid 90's, used it for about a year everyday and never let me down, great little car. Sold it to a mate of mine for a pint of beer! The things you did when you were younger!
    For a pint of beer, you must of been gagging for that! lol

Comment

In gear, solid clutch pedal, no drive, probably means that either the master or slave cylinder has stuck in the 'disengage' position.

Allegros are really easy to work on, and spares not too difficult to get if you know the right people.

I strongly recommend that you join the Allegro Club: www.allegroclubint.org.uk
      Quite a few members in London and the South East, a friendly and helpful bunch. (in fact there are a few members lurking on this forum too, because they also own Maestros/Montegos )
      1983 (Y) MG 1600
      1985 MG EFi with digital dash (owned since 1987)
      1987 700 City 1.6 Van
      1988 Tandy camper 2.0D
      1990 Advantage, just 29k on the clock
      1990 Clubman D
      1990 MG 2.0i (spares donor)

(all Maestros)

Daily drive: Rover 25 GTi

Weekend rave: Honda Civic Type R GT

Current projects: Allegro 1.7HLS, Allegro Equipe

Comment

Originally posted by digital efi View Post
        In gear, solid clutch pedal, no drive, probably means that either the master or slave cylinder has stuck in the 'disengage' position.

Allegros are really easy to work on, and spares not too difficult to get if you know the right people.

I strongly recommend that you join the Allegro Club: www.allegroclubint.org.uk
        Quite a few members in London and the South East, a friendly and helpful bunch. (in fact there are a few members lurking on this forum too, because they also own Maestros/Montegos )
        I did have a look there, but dont really want to pay nothing out at the moment due to not knowing whats actually wrong with this car.. lol tight as it may sound.
        The cars not in gear.. but when you do and turn it over on the key.. it dont move like a normal car would if you get me?
        Like jolt back n forth depending on what gear you have it in.

Comment

I can see the problem by looking at your first photo.

The clutch operating arm (sticks out of the housing at the driver's side end of the engine) is stuck in the disengaged position because the slave cylinder has seized.
          If you remove the slave cylinder next to it (two 9/16" AF bolts), the arm should spring back towards the engine and you should then have drive. The cylinder is probably rusted up inside.
          1983 (Y) MG 1600
          1985 MG EFi with digital dash (owned since 1987)
          1987 700 City 1.6 Van
          1988 Tandy camper 2.0D
          1990 Advantage, just 29k on the clock
          1990 Clubman D
          1990 MG 2.0i (spares donor)

(all Maestros)

Daily drive: Rover 25 GTi

Weekend rave: Honda Civic Type R GT

Current projects: Allegro 1.7HLS, Allegro Equipe

Comment

The cars not in gear.. but when you do and turn it over on the key.. it dont move like a normal car would if you get me?
            Like jolt back n forth depending on what gear you have it in.[/QUOTE]

It sounds as though the clutch has seized up as well as the hydraulics. If you leave a car for a long time, the clutch linings can bond to the flywheel, and the clutch won't disengage. It can sometimes be shocked loose, but only if you can operate the lever and hold the pedal down. It looks as though you need to strip both the clutch itself and also the master and slave cylinders. It's a relatively straighforward job and it helps if you have a workshop manual. The parts are still fairly easy to get but, before you start, I would also suggest you get in contact with the Allegro Owners Club as there may well be a member near to you who would be willing to assist.

Comment

Cheers for the reply guys, im going to give it a good clean later on this week/next and see what the state of it really is like rust wise. And go from there i think

Comment

BTW I have a hydragas pump, if you need to adjust the suspension.
                MG ZR, anthracite - sold & gone
                MG Maestro 1600 1.8 S-series track car - will be made road legal for track days
                Montego Turbo - in need of welding to osr arch
                Maestro 1600 VDP - daily drive

Comment

Hi,welcome, I had a allegro equipe brilliant car, ive also had 2 astra gte convertables,which i liked very much, your car well worth sorting, just take your time.
                  Beware of strange Japanese waitress bearing fortune cookies

Comment

Cheers Ralph.. Ive put it on the back burner for a little bit due to work getting busy again.

Thanks everyone for the welcomes.. and Astra GTE's are cool

Comment

Working...
                    X