Hello from the South/South West Coast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from the South/South West Coast

Joined the club some months ago and spent most of the time perusing the site.
    Have a 1990 1.3 White Clubman which is getting to the stage of needed a little attention on the Bodywork. Engine is great with only 40K on the clock.
    Hence the message for any advice, aswell as asking the question, are there any members in Dorset / Devon or Somerset areas?
    MOT’s due in 2 months and I therefore need to be a little pro-active. I have two new back wings, which I purchased a couple of years ago knowing that the rear arches will need replacing.
    Could anybody give me any ideas on recommended body shops in the South West and roughly how many hours to replace in order to put aside the pennies. Also will need to replace the windscreen. Cannot deicide whether to pay the excess on my insurance (£75) with the deep threat of increased premiums next year or to purchase a £32.00 New Screen on eBay (Devon) and get it fitted. Not much of a saving but I do not trust Insurance companies who it seems do not really need an excuse to increase premiums.
    I have a set of MGF Alloys which at some point would like to put onto the Clubman.

Any Advice is very welcomed.
    Mike
    H774 URR or ‘Harrierrr’, as I have christened him.
    Last edited by Alf Tupper; 20th May 2012, 18:30.

I had mine done via my insurance a couple of years ago. In no circumstances should it affect your premium. You are not making a claim, just using a service. It shouldn't affect your premium any more than calling out a breakdown service that was purchased from your insurance company. No insurance company ever asks if you have used the windscreen replacement service when you renew either, so that is not an issue.

The replacement screen at £32 plus your fuel won't leave you with much to get it fitted. It costs at least £200 to get a windscreen replaced. Supplying your own is not likely to reduce this much.

MGF alloys will affect your premium though!
    Last edited by matthewsemple; 18th May 2012, 08:23. Reason: saw ebay listing

Comment

Thanks for that, Matthew.
      I'll make a call to get the replacement underway.

The £32.00 Screen was just off the M5 about 10 miles out of may way, so petrol wouldn't be an issue. I had a qoute of about £50 from a Windscreen shop in Exeter to fit it. So I was out of pocket, besides the additional running around to do it myself, but I just had it in the back of my mind insurance renewal and preminums.
      I will think on re: the alloys.
      I see your in Bristol, any other members south of you?

Comment

Originally posted by matthewsemple View Post
        The replacement screen at £32 plus your fuel won't leave you with much to get it fitted. It costs at least £200 to get a windscreen replaced. Supplying your own is not likely to reduce this much.
        I just had a replacement screen put in by a mobile fitting company.

£40.

I supplied the screen.

Comment

Thanks Chris,
          Did you get the screen from the club? Is the £32 a good price?

Comment

Yes, £32 is a good price. The club has a small amount of them in stock and sells them for £40, but they're hard to come by anywhere else.

Comment

I had a screen fitted in about 2009. I was offered a tinted one (because I told them I have an MG Maestro) but my early car has non-tinted glass. Both were readily available at the time. My windscreen excess was £50 back then and I paid an additional £27 for a Citroen BX seal. The Maestro seal is harder to come by (and inferior) but I have not heard that the screens are hard to find. You may be able to reuse the old seal.

I live just south of Bristol in North Somerset. I know a few MG owners in Devon and MG Nut that posts here is from Chard, so there's a few about.

Comment

Nice One. Thanks.

Comment

Welcome "Alf", or should that be "The Tough of the Track"?

Whats the Fish & chips like down in bridport these days?.

Ok Enough of the comic funnies!.

Im south of Matthew (Westbury Wilts).

Pretty much as has been stated above re screen etc.

Comment

Ho Matthew ! Thanks for the welcome.
                    'Cish & Fhip's great down at West Bay, still about 15 Fish and Chips outlets there, so keeps me good in tucker all week long.
                    Let me know if there are any 'meets' up your way I would like to come along as I'm often popping up to Shaftesbury.
                    Last edited by Alf Tupper; 20th May 2012, 18:28.

Comment

Are you entering the Olympics this year? If so, you'll need plenty of fish shop dinners to build yourself up!
                      M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
                      Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Working...
                      X