Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from me and my new Monty!

Hello all,
    I recently joined the MMOC as I was given the chance of owning a 1991 Montego Saloon 1.6 LX but (to be honest) still had the view that owning an old Monty may end in some unhappiness, especially via the wife who thought I had grown out of the dirty fingernail, covered in oil, skinned fingers and bad language phase!
    A bit of history.
    The car was owned by a friend's dad who sadly passed away some weeks back, and his mum was keen to get rid. They had bought it 6 months old in 1991 so the history is known and the dad really looked after it.
    My friend and I used to spend hours working on old classics "in our yoof", but he has emigrated to Oz, and I had no room to keep another car, having sold my dear 1963 Spitfire last year after 37, yes 37, years of ownership!
    God I now miss her!
    So the chance of "another car to tinker about with for fun" was on my list of wants, but no real plans - certainly not a Montego.....
    But having helped my friend free off the brakes (the Monty had been stored in a garage for last 2 years) checking, cleaning and bleeding the brakes, curing a petrol leak and generally cleaning it up, with the aid of some jump leads she started up!
    His lovely mum subsequently gave me first refusal on it, and not only that, said I could use her garage to store/keep the car whilst I "tinkered with it" if I wanted it.
    "Lovely mum" is actually an understatement because the car also passed an MOT and some bits I haven't mentioned yet is that the car has done only 19,000 miles and is in exceptional condition. Apart from a couple of scuffs on the front corners where the dad has touched the garage doors getting in and out it is 99% rust free and original! Amazing!
    So, I've got the fingernails dirty over the past week reverse flushing the cooling system ...blimey it was brown and gooey!... curing the cam cover oil leak (common problem according to the info in this Forum) with new gaskets, the usual oil, filters and antifreeze changes.
    New spark plugs, distributor cap/rotor arm to be fitted, and I think a new battery is required too.
    I'm a bit shocked at the idea of £230 Road Tax, having previously paid £0 for the old Spitfire, but hey ho at least I've got a car to play about with, and it's at least a bit out of the ordinary I guess!
    Anyway, enough rambling. Just wanted to say hello and thanks for the info I've picked up on here so far.
    I'll try to attach a couple of photos to this post, and I'm sure I'll be posting on here again in due course.
    Oh!..... first question - anyone know a good supplier of coolant hoses for the Monty. I'll probably replace all to be safe, but the to/from heater & manifold hoses (rather than the top and bottom main hoses which look ok-ish) are what I'm after.
    Cheers f'now!
    John
    Attached Files

welcome to the club, nice find with only 19,000 miles on.

we like pictures
    MG Maestro turbo 437
    367 Bhp

Comment

Welcome along. Look forward to seeing this fine sounding example at forthcoming shows!!

Comment

Thanks...

Thanks for the comments.
        Doesn't look like the picture uploads worked on my first post. I can't seem to open them from the Attachments Icon at the end of my post, so perhaps you folks can't either?
        Probably User Error on my part so will try to play around again later and add them by some other procedure......
        cheers f'now.
        John
        (Express Valeter.... I saw a red Montego parked up at the Knebworth Classic Car show the other weekend .... was that you?)

Comment

Welcome to the fold!

I'm a Maestro person but only live down the road in St Albans if you're ever that way going for a drive.
          You'll struggle finding new hoses I'm afraid but I've not head of too many problems. Luckily I have the petrol turbo MG which had a full set of after market hoses produced.

Enjoy!

Ian
          Ian Drew
          MG Maestro Turbo '400'
          MG ZT V8
          Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

Originally posted by grout20 View Post
            Thanks for the comments.
            Doesn't look like the picture uploads worked on my first post. I can't seem to open them from the Attachments Icon at the end of my post, so perhaps you folks can't either?
            Probably User Error on my part so will try to play around again later and add them by some other procedure......
            cheers f'now.
            John
            (Express Valeter.... I saw a red Montego parked up at the Knebworth Classic Car show the other weekend .... was that you?)
            Try again, should be working now
            1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
            1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
            1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
            2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
            2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
            2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
              Try again, should be working now
              Thanks Jeff.

I've uploaded photos to "my album" .... I think..... and there should be one of them attached to this post too.

cheers!

John
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi and welcome!.

That's a very nice looking Monty you have there, hope to see it at some shows next year.

Ray
                MG Montego efi C928TBL - Moonraker blue
                Austin Montego Mayfair C943KOE - Clove brown
                MG Maestro 2.Oi H352MOF - Black

Comment

That's lovely, like that
                  1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                  1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                  1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                  2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
                  2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                  2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Very clean!
                    Good to see more "None MG/VP" models coming to light.

Comment

Now that, is truly beautiful. Welcome to the forum.
                      1985 Austin Montego 2.0HLS x 2

MONTEGO - THE CAR THAT PUTS THE DRIVER FIRST

Comment

Originally posted by MG MAL View Post
                        Very clean!
                        Good to see more "None MG/VP" models coming to light.
                        Hear Hear! Ordinary ones can turn heads too these days - and this one looks really nice.
                        M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
                        Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                          Hear Hear! Ordinary ones can turn heads too these days - and this one looks really nice.
                          I can't take PVW to the petrol station with her being complimented!
                          1985 Austin Montego 2.0HLS x 2

MONTEGO - THE CAR THAT PUTS THE DRIVER FIRST

Comment

Working...
                          X