Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MG Maestro project

Hi all
    I'm about to embark on restoring this MG Maestro, work hasn't started yet as I have a Saab 9000 to finish first!

The history is that an MG Maestro (B403 YKP) was my late father's car, and I'm fixing one up in his honour (and while prices aren't too unobtainable).

I found this white one in Devizes and will be picking it up in a few weeks. Jobs that I know it needs:

Repair headliner
    Replace sunroof (a good s/h one is included)
    Service and brakes etc
    Indicators not working (but hazards do)
    Address corrosion on roof
    Probably both rear arches
    Clean and rust-protect underside

and possibly longer term, a respray.

I've got a good selection of spares with the car and I can't wait to get started! I'll keep you all posted with progress.

All the best

George

Very good luck, the headlining isn't the massive job it may look like. Here's my one done :-)

https://maestro.org.uk/forums/forum/...tro-headlining

Comment

Parts are still plentiful but have gone up in price. Find the best dashboard you can, there's nothing worse than spending a vast amounts of money on a resto and the dash looks like it's been dragged out of a quarry.
      there's plenty of help here and on the social media forums.
      I have loads of spares so please let me know if I can help.
      Good luck and enjoy the process, make your dad proud.

Comment

Progress of sorts. Mechanically I've done the cam belt and tensioner plus put on a stainless exhaust (which is a bit fruity). Plus a full service Inc plugs and filters. I did sort out the handbrake as well but somehow that's un-fixed itself again, shouldn't be too hard to sort.

After that lot it's gone to 'Kevin' in Northampton for some bodywork. There was corrosion on the roof as well as the usual sill and arch rot, so he's seeing to that and putting some less fillered doors on.

Kevin comes recommended by someone I bought some alloys from in Northampton - Glynn - is he on here? Has a newer MG Maestro in white with the body colour kit.

Comment

Meanwhile I've been beavering away at the headliner. When it comes back I'll be concentrating on MoT time although I have other bits (shocks, clutch, ball joints) to throw on as well.

Comment

Coming along nicely

Comment

Originally posted by grogee View Post
              Meanwhile I've been beavering away at the headliner. When it comes back I'll be concentrating on MoT time although I have other bits (shocks, clutch, ball joints) to throw on as well.
              Don't forget to leave enough material round the sunroof opening to put the inner seal back on to it to lock in the headliner material, so you'll have to unpick what you've done there round the sunroof opening as you've glued it to the headliner
              1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
              1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
              1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
              2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
              2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
              2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

As per these
                Attached Files
                1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
                2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

The spats had a fixing built into the inside arch lip, that always rot.
                  the base/long section along the cill is fixed by a plug pin mounded into the spat and a self tapping screw.
                  so when you look at the spat when it's against the rear arch, you don't see a fixing.

Comment

Working...
                  X