X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Originally posted by Doctordiesel77 View Post

Easy if you know how ha ha ha...I'm going to do all of mine at once, but still have a vision of me ending up looking like a mummy wrapped up in headlining material and a workshop full of spiders web style glue strands
    Ha ha, bit like me and wallpaper

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Originally posted by Soulcharger View Post

Hi, I did find a Montego on the site, is this yours ?
    Yep, same principle

Leave a comment:

• Soulcharger
    replied
    Originally posted by Doctordiesel77 View Post

Easy if you know how ha ha ha...I'm going to do all of mine at once, but still have a vision of me ending up looking like a mummy wrapped up in headlining material and a workshop full of spiders web style glue strands
    I intend to do some "dummy runs" for glueing material to liner.

Leave a comment:

• Soulcharger
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post

Easy job, have a search for my guide
    Hi, I did find a Montego on the site, is this yours ?

Leave a comment:

• Doctordiesel77
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Turbo
    replied
    Originally posted by Soulcharger View Post

I'm just about ready to replace my headlining and the last couple of weeks bits of crumbling foam have been appearing on the floor, so I'm guessing mine's disintegrating too ! BTW just bought material from Woollies all the old grey coloured linings seem to have been replaced with one called Oatmeal. Wish me luck, some prayer would be appreciated too !

Leave a comment:

• Soulcharger
    replied
    Originally posted by Guest View Post
    Do you perchance have a sunroof fitted? That to me looks like the sunroof expanding foam strip...
    I'm just about ready to replace my headlining and the last couple of weeks bits of crumbling foam have been appearing on the floor, so I'm guessing mine's disintegrating too ! BTW just bought material from Woollies all the old grey coloured linings seem to have been replaced with one called Oatmeal. Wish me luck, some prayer would be appreciated too !

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    thanks, for some reason I thought they were covered in fabric in some way; on checking, I see they arn't - shouldn't be too hard to find a few good ones.

Leave a comment:

• SimonR
    replied
    Originally posted by JonCooper
    Anyone got any thoughts on how to get all the big studs that hold the headlining up in a monty looking new/good ?
    Well, when I replaced F153's headlining with a new one a while back, all I did was get some fairy liquid and a toothbrush and gently scrub clean the original ones under a running tap.

You could always nip to a scrapper and get some clean(er) ones - it's very odd how they get caught on clothing and sort of end up in your pocket when you least expect them to....

Leave a comment:

• SimonR
    replied
    Re: Headlining material

Originally posted by matthewsemple
    This is the only one that would cost 22.91 for three metres with VAT - it looks like it is vinyl - is that what you used?

Empire Grey (very light grey) ............... only 6.50 Per mtr
    Hi Matt,

Nope, I used Empire grey. (6.50x3)x1.175=22.91

Was tempted to use the more expensive cloths though. There are some really nice brown/beige ones available for cars with brownish interiors. Would suit a Mk.1 Oporto Red VP very nicely, for example.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    this thread has inspired me to look at sorting out my Montego Estate headlining

after reading this through (thanks for a great step-by-step F153JUE) I have just one question, anyone got any thoughts on how to get all the big studs that hold the headlining up in a monty looking new/good ?

Leave a comment:

• matthewsemple
    replied
    Headlining material

Originally posted by F153JUE
    I bought the materials from Woolies in Market Deeping, near Peterborough.

The cloth was a specific headlining cloth called Empire Grey, the adhesive was like Thixofix but was better in that it is able to withstand high temperatures. 1L is about right for a Maestro.
    This is the only one that would cost 22.91 for three metres with VAT - it looks like it is vinyl - is that what you used?

Nylon Headlining Foam Backed. 127cm (50") wide. As used on Jaguars, Rovers, Saabs etc 1950's and on.

Princess Grey (mid grey) ........................ 10.78 Per mtr
    Empire Grey (very light grey) ............... only 6.50 Per mtr

Leave a comment:

• SimonR
    replied
    Originally posted by H536NOG
    I tried some spray on glue (same sort of thing carpet fitters use) & acheived terrible results... glue seeped through the fabric.
    Yeah - I thought I'd have the same problem but the glue that I used was snot-like in consistency and the art is to wait long enough for it to go tacky (about 4 - 8 mins) and then roll the lining fabric down onto it. If you start smoothing it down from the middle outwards then you'l get a professoinal-looking finish.

I think that there were several different types of biscuit used in Maestros - this one was from a 1983 car and was made out of pressed textile, therefore it was nice and solid. The original one that was in F153 was much thinner and made of finer stands. I've also seen headinings made out of polystyrene such as the stuff that prepacked meat in supermarkets is prepacked in.

The new replacement that I bought about 18 months ago for F153 was v. similar to the 1983 one except that it seemed to be thicker and had better sound insulating properties. Seems they went full-circle in the 20 years!

Thinking about it, it was probably easier to recover the old biscuit than it was to go to Rover, order a new lining, pay 113, wait for them to deliver it and then fit it. More satisfying too!

Today's Maestroing consisted mainly of hacking apart a complete 1.3 LHD wiring loom (just been to Ledders) to get the wiring I'm going to use to fit a better stereo/CD changer to A335. I've now got some cracking wires with fusebox connectors on the ends that I can use. They're even the right colours (Green and Purple)! The biggest problem is that the changer is too big to fit in the glove compartment of the mk. 1 dash. Looks like it'll have to go under the Driver's seat. Oh well looks like it was false economy to get a 6 disc unit thinking it'd fit. I'll prolly be fitting it all tomorrow, along with my modified door cards, home-made plastic moisture shields and better speaker wire. Oh how I love weekends!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Sorry forgot to add,the results you obtained look superb.
    I shall have to give the MG the same treatment, Deeping isnt too far from me either

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I tried some spray on glue (same sort of thing carpet fitters use) & acheived terrible results when I attempted to repair the sagging headlining in my old Monty estate... perhaps I should have waited until it was almost dry before attempting to put it back together, it really did look awful with glue seeped through the fabric.
    Needless to say, it got replaced as soon as I found a better one!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X