Tick over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tick over

The tick over on my car seems to be all over one day it`s normal , then almost cutting out , then fast . Had the carb rebuilt new gasket`s seal`s etc cleaned , all vacuum pipes checked , mixture checked all ok now , although exhaust fumes do smell rich even when up to running temp and choke off , any idea`s anyone ?

Sounds odd, how did you check mixture? I'd be tempted to try a colourtune http://www.gunson.co.uk//tech-torque...ustion-chamber might give you some clues as to what is going on, sounds like you have been through the most likely things....

Comment

Mixture and tick over were checked on the machine they use at the mot testing station I use , just after the carb was rebuilt . Any idea`s welcome .

Comment

I'd be tempted to try either a colourtune, or lifting the carb piston to make sure mixture is right, once saw an Allegro which had fuel turned down to pass emissions, then ran very badly...turned out emissions fail was down to poor spark caused by dud ignition capacitor, when it was fixed fuelling was to turn back up again.... If you lift the piston in the carb 1/8" (using either a screwdriver or the lifting pin under carb (if it has one))with engine ticking over engine should falter then pick up. If engine stalls mixture is too weak, if it revs up mixture is too rich...simple but generally effective, if it says mixture is wrong, check that ignition system is working correctly, if you find and repair a fault, it would be worth getting garage to re-check mixture, ...seems odds that it varies from day to day though..

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordiesel77 View Post
          I'd be tempted to try either a colourtune, or lifting the carb piston to make sure mixture is right, once saw an Allegro which had fuel turned down to pass emissions, then ran very badly...turned out emissions fail was down to poor spark caused by dud ignition capacitor, when it was fixed fuelling was to turn back up again.... If you lift the piston in the carb 1/8" (using either a screwdriver or the lifting pin under carb (if it has one))with engine ticking over engine should falter then pick up. If engine stalls mixture is too weak, if it revs up mixture is too rich...simple but generally effective, if it says mixture is wrong, check that ignition system is working correctly, if you find and repair a fault, it would be worth getting garage to re-check mixture, ...seems odds that it varies from day to day though..
          Ok thanks .

Comment

Working...
          X