Front Footwell Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Footwell Leak

My car has a dreaded leak into the front footwell, on the driver's side. I've had the plastic panel off the bulkhead and found this:

Should there be a gromet or something in there? I'm not sure whether to fit one in case it is meant to be a drain hole, as the top of the bulkhead seems to be a tray for incoming water from the wiper grilles/scuttle.
    Steve Worsley

R514 RVJ - 1998 Rover Maestro 1.3 - Restoration
    VX12 EBG - 2012 MG-6 GT 1.8T SE - Stored
    J209 PEL - 1991 Rover Maestro 1.3 Clubman - Running

Don't fill that, it's a drain hole. That bit is supposed to get wet and empties into the wheel arch from memory.

How bad is the leak in? You should check the grommets in the engine bay, not behind that plastic panel.

One area to check is the door seal. My Montego leaks in when I wash it - about three quaters away along the bottom for some reason.

Comment

It's a drain tray, so I don't think there's supposed to be a Gromit in there.

Comment

Thanks. I've since found that the door seal was not even touching the metal properly where it bends, between the dashboard and the bottom of the A pillar. The rubber was away from the plastic, too. It's now glued up and fitted snugly, so I'll see how it goes.
        Steve Worsley

R514 RVJ - 1998 Rover Maestro 1.3 - Restoration
        VX12 EBG - 2012 MG-6 GT 1.8T SE - Stored
        J209 PEL - 1991 Rover Maestro 1.3 Clubman - Running

Comment

Im not sure that is the dainage hole,it looks to far back,and in the middle!!.

Drainage holes on the monty are closer to inner wing,and towards the front,basically right above side repeater!

Can you shine a touch down that hole and see the wires at back of dashboard?? then you know it's not drain hole!!
          1991 MG Rover Montego Turbo A8 OGE(BORED WITH IT)
          1994 Rover Montego Countryman M444ALP (SOLD)
          1997 Peugeot 806 roland garros (AT LAST,A DECENT MOTOR!!)

Comment

Working...
          X