Decent shocks for MG Maestro ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decent shocks for MG Maestro ?

Hi all - can anyone advise best shocks to get for MG Maestro ? Local factors do them (choice of oil or gas), but with the awful roads on IOW are there any 20% uprated about ?

Out of interest I looked on one of the tuning sites and they claimed to do Spax adjustables for front and rear, to fit MG Maestro. Going back years my mate had spax adjustables on his GT Cortina and they were great to set up - just use a shilling to adjust them. That's going back a bit !

The spaxs were about £100 each - bit expensive but good ?

Any suggested options / sources ?

Many thanks

Also interested in the thread on reverting 2" lowered suspension back to standard, as my latest aquisition is 2" lowered and a bit harsh on IOW pot-holed roads.

Japanese KYB's are the best value by miles. Gas shox too, not oil. Get whole set for less than an £100. Bright orange, can't miss 'em. Part no. Codes 333075 fronts, 341106 rears (or if you have higher spring mounts, 341103 rears).

Comment

Thanks oseerees. Have looked at KYB reviews and generally very favourable - so might go for these. But-

Spent an hour trying to find a supplier - have you any ideas who might stock ?

Comment

http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/

Was a really good website, now some clever sod has updated it and it's awful!

Now on the new design website you have to put your registration details in to get the parts you want from the drop down list. Trouble is it gives the WRONG part numbers!! I put my Turbo details in and it came up with shocks for an Estate!!

Ring them up (tell them the new site is bl**dy useless!) and specify the numbers I gave. Prices should still be similar to what comes up if you put your reg details in.

333075 KYB FRONT is 264mm Standard spring platform height
        333223 is 250mm TOO LOW.

Rears
        341103 is 181mm (high spring platform)
        341106 is 157mm (standard height)
        341105 (I think is 160mm, not sure)

I should have added that on the rears with KYB, for some reason the spring is always a tight fit in the spring pan on the shock. Fronts are fine and no problems.

Comment

This may help you with getting the right spring height

All uk maestro cars (inc MG) left the factory with 264mm front dampers (250mm was for 1.6 export cars only)

All uk maestro cars(inc MG) left the factory with 181mm rear dampers (157mm was for export 1.3 and 1.6 models as well as the police)

Montegos have more varations

Comment

I fitted KYBs ( Kayaba) to mine. Got them from Camskill Performance. Dirt cheap, like about £80 for full set. I went for lowest ride height all round. ie 250mm front and 157 rear. They are excellent value gas shocks, made in Japan. Triumph motorcycles used them in the 90s for their front forks and rear shocks, so must be good!
            Here's the link to when I first ordered mine!

http://www.maestro.org.uk/forums/sho...&highlight=KYB
            Last edited by Jumturbo; 10th November 2009, 13:09.
            sigpic
            63 MG6 Magnette TSE 'Union Blue' Brand new!
            'G' MG Montego Turbo 'Rover Wimbledon Green' owned since 97'
            '56' MG ZTT160 Silver (GT56ZTT) Now sold
            '05' MG ZR115TDSE Red (Hers)
            'W' TR7V8 Will be 1980 Manx Tarmac Rally Replica
            '56' Buell Firebolt XB12R Blue/Gold
            'H' Montego 2.0SLX Turbo White (H11RBO) sold

Comment

Thanks guys for all the info - will try the links when I get back from up north yorkshire.
              2 points - presumeably if 264mm is std front and 181 is std rear, fitting the 250 on the front will lower it 14mm, and 157 would lower the back by 26mm ? Might look cool but would still have standard spring rate so risk going a bit too low on the suspension travel ?
              Is this dimension on the rears from the centre of the lower bush to inside the spring seat ? Where would it be on the front - to one of the mounting holes ?
              Then I'll check my damper dimensions out of curiosity !
              £400 for the adjustable spax set is probably a bit steep at the mo, these kybs sound good value.

Comment

Originally posted by henocsr View Post
                This may help you with getting the right spring height

All uk maestro cars (inc MG) left the factory with 264mm front dampers (250mm was for 1.6 export cars only)

All uk maestro cars(inc MG) left the factory with 181mm rear dampers (157mm was for export 1.3 and 1.6 models as well as the police)

Montegos have more varations
                If so, does that mean that the stilt-equipped diesels and (especially)Ledburies only had different springs?
                Regards
                John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
                MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Originally posted by AndyB View Post
                  Thanks guys for all the info - will try the links when I get back from up north yorkshire.
                  2 points - presumeably if 264mm is std front and 181 is std rear, fitting the 250 on the front will lower it 14mm, and 157 would lower the back by 26mm ? Might look cool but would still have standard spring rate so risk going a bit too low on the suspension travel ?
                  Is this dimension on the rears from the centre of the lower bush to inside the spring seat ? Where would it be on the front - to one of the mounting holes ?
                  Then I'll check my damper dimensions out of curiosity !
                  £400 for the adjustable spax set is probably a bit steep at the mo, these kybs sound good value.

Yes the car would be lower, but not by much. My car has uprated lower springs as well, but standard springs will work fine if in good nick. Your car may have the lower seats anyway and even if it hasn't the difference will be minimal. Measurements are taken to the centre of the bolt holes, on the front I think it is the bottom hole, but when you measure it it will be obvious.
                  sigpic
                  63 MG6 Magnette TSE 'Union Blue' Brand new!
                  'G' MG Montego Turbo 'Rover Wimbledon Green' owned since 97'
                  '56' MG ZTT160 Silver (GT56ZTT) Now sold
                  '05' MG ZR115TDSE Red (Hers)
                  'W' TR7V8 Will be 1980 Manx Tarmac Rally Replica
                  '56' Buell Firebolt XB12R Blue/Gold
                  'H' Montego 2.0SLX Turbo White (H11RBO) sold

Comment

Ledburys have the stiffest springs available, stiffer even than the diesels.

They also have some of the softest dampers available which makes the ride very bouncy.
                    www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                    www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                    www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

I'm looking in getting new shocks. And maybe new springs. Am i right that 2Efi has same setup as Turbo. They hardly mention Turbo name.

Comment

Working...
                      X