MGF alloys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MGF alloys

Yet another question. I'm fitting these (see link) alloys to my maestro turbo (15") as they will take the tyres off the standard alloys, and for the record will be refurbing them to gloss black. Will they fit without spacers and will they accept the standard wheel nuts?

http://retrorides.proboards.com/thre...f-alloy-wheels

1989 MG Maestro Turbo no.399

1994 Maestro Clubman Turbo Diesel

I.ve got the MGF 15" alloys on mine but IIRC I did have to fit 10mm spacers.

Comment

I suppose it's a trial fit thing - if there's rubbing on full lock then it's best to fit. Will any 10mm mgf spacers do? Prices vary wildly. I'm of course going to hang on to my original wheels, I'm just a bit tired of them!

Comment

Doing a bit of research it seems I only need 3mm spacer for the front and none at the back providing the centre cap is filed a few mm. Does this sound about right?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-MGF-...item415701df6f

Would this type of space do the job?

I aim to use 185/55/15 tyres

Thanks.

Comment

Looking at the pattern, I've got those spacers on mine, with MGF wheels. Certainly 5mm is fine.
          Membership Secretary
          Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
          2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
          1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Comment

There was a name associated to the spacers I have but I can't remember it thouhj I think it begins with C.

Comment

3mm on mine, with a set of early MGF VVC wheels

3mm on mine with original wheels nuts. Only needed on the front to clear the calliper.

Comment

IIRC I have 195's on mine, running with a EFi gearbox it gives me the perfect speedo reading according to the satnav.

Comment

Some good info here. I think the rears need spacers more than the front from a purely cosmetic point of view as the front wheels appear to sit further outward as standard, but I acknowledge the need to clear the calipers.

Comment

No spacers needed with those wheels, a straight fit.

Comment

195's

Yep, I agree with the comments on the 195 tyres. I regret getting rid of them and going back to OE 185's.

Comment

You'll upset the steering buy putting the rear wheels further out. It doesn't take much to think of the effect, and the logic of having the steering wheels wider than the static following wheels. I'd leave well alone. It might not look right to you but surely function should win here?
                        Originally posted by John S View Post
                        Some good info here. I think the rears need spacers more than the front from a purely cosmetic point of view as the front wheels appear to sit further outward as standard, but I acknowledge the need to clear the calipers.

Comment

Originally posted by countrydude View Post
                          You'll upset the steering buy putting the rear wheels further out. It doesn't take much to think of the effect, and the logic of having the steering wheels wider than the static following wheels. I'd leave well alone. It might not look right to you but surely function should win here?
                          Point taken. It could be because the arches are not exactly oem in profile as new ones have been welded on of course. Not inspected my other maestro to confirm.

Comment

I also fitted rear spacers, has the front wheels stick out more, looked lot better with spacers on, didn't use any spacers on the front.
                            MG Maestro turbo 437
                            367 Bhp

Comment

Fitted the wheels. You could fit a fag paper behind the brake calipers. I take it it's still safe though? What the wheels look like...
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X