power steering pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power steering pump

The PAS pump on my 2.0i MG maestro has started to leak and I have taken gamble and brought a new one from Rimmers for a diesel Montego QVB10014. It looks like the same basic pump, but does anyone know if it will fit? would I need a diesel pulley wheel? for example. I guess if it was exactly the same Rimmers would have listed it for the petrol Maestro?

I will also need new front wheel bearings soon. Any tips welcome
    Last edited by Jez; 15th May 2015, 17:20. Reason: adding more info

The only thing I can see on the EPC is that the part number for the Petrol PAS pump is different to the diesel by one digit (QVB10014 as opposed to QVB10015) and the same parts are common to Maestro and Montego. Whether it is the bracket that makes it different, I don't know and the EPC is not clear enough - but on the face of it the diesel pump won't do for your Maestro
    Membership Secretary
    Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
    2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
    1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Comment

It's a long time sine I looked under the bonnet of either a petrol or diesel but I have a gut feeling it is just a case of swapping brackets around, and possibly the pulley.

Let us know how you get on.

Comment

Originally posted by talkingcars View Post
        It's a long time sine I looked under the bonnet of either a petrol or diesel but I have a gut feeling it is just a case of swapping brackets around, and possibly the pulley.

Let us know how you get on.
        Would agree with this, especially the pulley. You should be considering using your old pulley, not a diesel pulley, and I would guess that the new pump will be pulley-less.
        Membership Secretary
        Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
        2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
        1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Comment

will update when i know more

pump coming Monday but car at away at the moment, having the underside restored. so won't know for a few weeks. A search of the correct NAM number shows a few are available to buy new.

Comment

low pressure feed

Ok, so the diesel PAS pump has arrived. It looks like the low pressure feed pipe is in a different position. On the diesel one its above the high pressure one, on the petrol one (on my car at least) it is below the high pressure one. This might not be a problem, but until I get my car back I cannot tell for sure. I guess this is something to do with how the mounting brackets suit each engine?

Comment

Hi Jez,
              I think you will find that the Diesel PAS pump goes on the right hand side of the engine when viewed from the front and the Petrol PAS pump fits on the left! So not surprised in the pullys being different so its obvious which one you have got hold of coupled with the different locations for the pipework!
              Just a thought for you to check out.

Comment

Hi, what was the outcome of fitting this PAS pump to the petrol? Thnaks Andy
                MG Maestro Turbo #500
                BMW 335I M Sport Convertible
                Subaru Impreza Hawkeye Wagon
                Rover 218vvc Coupe

Comment

well it sounds like it would be running backwards, that might be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by robert1 View Post
                    well it sounds like it would be running backwards, that might be a problem.
                    it would be, so would probably blow what should be the low pressure pipes off....

Comment

Arr ok, thanks for the help. Knock that one on the head then. Going cheap at Rimmers that’s all and I have never been able to find a new replacement for my noisy one. Which replaced a noisy one.
                      MG Maestro Turbo #500
                      Rover 218vvc Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
                        Arr ok, thanks for the help. Knock that one on the head then. Going cheap at Rimmers that’s all and I have never been able to find a new replacement for my noisy one. Which replaced a noisy one.
                        I suspect that it might be possible to convert, but would involve taking it to bits and possibly doing a bit of drilling and tapping...

Comment

do you still have the old one? can it be dismantled?

Comment

No unfortunately I don’t have the old one. Does anyone have the part number for the correct pump for my car please? Think I will wait instead of modifying one. Thanks Andy.
                            MG Maestro Turbo #500
                            Rover 218vvc Coupe

Comment

QVB10015 from pete's post.
                              It looks like you can remove the cover and rimmers have a QVB10016 for £36. if you can swap the covers over so you have the reservoir on the new pump you could save a lot.
                              shame you don't have the old pump to play with.
                              http://www.wedgeneering.co.uk/Front%...20steering.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X