oil separator - do i need one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil separator - do i need one?

I am lucky enough to be getting a brand new complete full O Series engine fitted to my MG maestro next week. Some of you might have seen it on e bay. It is looking pretty much a straight swap for my old one except the sump pan has additional holes for an oil separator. My 1989 MG Maestro does not have one. Do I need to try and source one for the new engine, or can I fit a blanking plate instead. I could use the old sump pan, but the new one is shiny and dent free!
    Last edited by Jez; 21st July 2016, 15:08.

I thought the face lift separator was at the rear instead on the front of the sump. Never seen one without as it's also a breather
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

Yes I think they moved the separator from the front to the rear (or was it the other way around), to help combat condensation.
      www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
      www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
      www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Thanks, I am a little clearer now on the situation. I have a 20 HE engine, one of the last for the Maestro and it has the oil separator at the rear, with a welded pipe on the sump. The earlier (?) 20 HC (and before?) had a hole and studs on the front of the sump, the same layout / size as the oil filler pipe. So while I could have fitted a blanking plate from a Rover 800 to the new sump, I would not have had the welded pipe to the rear. So hopefully my old battered sump will be a straight fit on my shinning brand new O series engine. I just need to tell the garage about the fuel tank leak now! They might not want me to bring it in tomorrow! .

Comment

Working...
        X