The Mad Maestro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mad Maestro

i have noticed that the overheating light comes on when the temp is on normal, this when I think about it has gradually got worse over the years, the engine does not overheat, just the light flashing.. does anyone have a wiring diagram for the dash, or can explain how it works to me.. if it is the dash i probably have a spare somewhere among all the junk i have here.. thanks in advance.. ricky
    home of the "mad maestro"
    rover sterling kv6 and four tailpipes on lenso rs5's
    1935 Morris 18/6 being rejuvenated with xj6 parts

and does anyone know the length of the resistor wire that goes from the battery connections into the power supplies for fuse box etc... regards ricky

Comment

Overheat light is probably the autochoke ECU that is playing up if it comes on straight away. The fusible links which I think is what you mean are about a foot long from memory. They don't go very far into the loom near the battery.
      www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
      www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
      www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

dan I think you are forgetting I am running a mems 1.9 wasted spark system, I don't have separate ecu's anymore... the wiring I have sorted just cut it back almost to the bulkhead, then found the info in the Haynes manual, the overheating light I thought would be linked to the dash/temp gauge and maybe a resistor problem, as both the temp senders are relatively new and the gauge reads ok....regards ricky

Comment

turbo fitted, wiring sorted, all the electrics working much better, still no info on the overheating light, door latches lubed and working better than before, grill badge repainted.. Been driven on trade plates, is over boosting and running slightly rich, have reset the ecu need to set the "basic" setting for the actuator, and then the greddy profec 11 will control the boost better.. then oil change and the biggy, THE MOT ... regards ricky

Comment

Sorry I thought it may have been a turbo conversion before an EFI turbo one. (turbo would have run the autochoke ECU).

Does the temp gauge read high or is it just the overheat light? The if it is the latter then it could be a faulty dash.

Comment

Dan the temp is spot on, just the overheat light comes on, later in the week when I mot it I will check the temp with a probe, I have realised the water system flows well but the turbo part of the system does cause some issues, its non std as well... when the radiator is rebuilt I am getting a new inlet made so that the turbo part flows better, but I don't think the turbo is causing the overheating light issue, was after some info as to how it works, so that I can assess if it is the light or the wiring or the dash.. regards ricky

Comment

It is simply a resistor that alters with temperature. Usually something like 2k ohms when cold and 200 ohms when hot I think.

Comment

have done the mot, so all on the road again.. boost nearly all sorted, the mixture was a dodgy lambda sensor, just need to drive it now to get every thing to settle down, that clutch is so heavy I have a pedal shaped mark on the ball of my foot.. just need to give a good clean and valet, then ready to sell again.. regards ricky

Comment

Not tempted to hang on to her? Seems like all these years of fettling and you're finally close to getting her running nice!

Good luck either way!

Ian
                    Ian Drew
                    MG Maestro Turbo '400'
                    MG ZT V8
                    Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

no got to go, but am enjoying the playtime.. I have a new project on the go so money and space... regards ricky

Comment

Working...
                      X