Lowering conundrum answered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowering conundrum answered

As I alluded to in the thread on Front Strut Overhaul, #436 was sold to me as having been lowered. Certainly the rear springs do not sit in both seats when the strut has been extended. I think I have found the reason for that today. In checking across a number of Monroe rear struts, I found that the length from the bottom bush to the spring pan can be either 179/180mm or 160mm. The ones on #436 were the smaller dimension versions; which would explain the lowered stance. The springs were correct spec, so once I have a good pair of struts, I can re use the springs without problem.

For anyone interested, the strut codes I have found so far are: Rover - GSA2064; Monroe - R3310; Sachs - 193008; Optimal - A-1813H. These are all for standard spec, oil damped, non-adjustable types.
    Membership Secretary
    Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
    2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
    1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

And as a further update, here is a pic of the front springs. The red ones were fitted to the (lowered) car when I bought it, the black ones are NOS MG Maestro EFi springs I've managed to get hold of. I think it will be sitting a bit higher when #436 is rebuilt! Click image for larger version

Name:	20161119_155031[1].jpg
Views:	128
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	318526
    Membership Secretary
    Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
    2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
    1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Comment

Working...
    X