MG Maestro Turbo fuel tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MG Maestro Turbo fuel tank?

I no they are no longer available retail but does anyone have or no of a new old stock item or can suggest anyway that can make or convert an EFI tank or any other ideas? Just had the tank out and sealed again where it leaks from the sender unit and they have said that's the last time they are doing it (third time now at £130 a pop!) seems to be every year after its been sitting now. Its goosed, they have even put temporary repair on the receipt this time. What have other turbo owners done when they have needed a new tank? Going to have to get one in anticipation of this one springing a leak again. Cheers Andy
    MG Maestro Turbo #500
    BMW 335I M Sport Convertible
    Subaru Impreza Hawkeye Wagon
    Rover 218vvc Coupe

I'm just having one made at a local fabricators in stainless steel. They make a few for motorsports etc or they used to. They seem to know what they are doing!

Comment

PS mine is for my Montego.

Comment

Efi tank is the same as a Turbo
        1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
        1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
        1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
        2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
        2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

Or right, I thought they were different inside Jeff? I remember reading once. Be a bonus if I can use one of them should be easier to find. At least you can get them made if not.
          MG Maestro Turbo #500
          Rover 218vvc Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
            Or right, I thought they were different inside Jeff? I remember reading once. Be a bonus if I can use one of them should be easier to find. At least you can get them made if not.
            I've used efi tanks on a couple of Turbos and as they also have a return with swirl they are effectively the same. My French turbo has an efi tank on it without any alteration
            1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
            1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
            1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
            2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
            2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

Does it only leak from the sender unit seal? I recently had the same issue and cleaned it all up and replaced the seal -surely you don't need to scrap the tank for that?

Comment

Apparently. Not seen it myself, this is coming from the fuel tank/radiator repair shop. Something about plastic clips been broken. Sounds like its been covered in bodge to stem the leak unfortunately. Which is a shame as I had the tank fully refurbished a few years back.
                MG Maestro Turbo #500
                Rover 218vvc Coupe

Comment

It's just a hole with a sender unit pushed in-don't see how it can't be fixed long term-especially at £130! I did mine myself. Replaced the tank with a good second-hand item back in 2002 when I restored the car-think that was off a montego in a scrapyard. The original was sucking in air as the fuel level fell-internal pinhole in pick-up pipe. Had to take out the tank last year as the sender unit seal was leaking-it was a faff getting it all out but the repair cost pennies-a new metal ring and gasket with some sealent. The old minis use the same set-up. Are they cleaning it all off and using new parts?

Comment

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Mi...wAAOxyTMdTLF-Q

Comment

There is the Maestro EFi breaker on Ebay. Tank may be a good'un on there.
                      Membership Secretary
                      Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
                      2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
                      1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Comment

Got up this morning and the house stank of petrol oozing in from the garage Done less than a few hundred miles since the 'repair' and only 30 at the weekend, first time its been out in months will now give it to the mechanic that normally looks after it and the 'professionals' at the fuel tank repair place. If it does need replacing and he cant do anything with it does anyone know where I can get a new one from? Cheers Andy
                        MG Maestro Turbo #500
                        Rover 218vvc Coupe

Comment

try these http://www.radiatorrepairs.co.uk if they can't repair it they make you one, i have seen some of there work its 100%
                          MG Maestro turbo 437
                          367 Bhp

Comment

Just out of curriostity what other Montys use the same tank as a 1.6 or even Maestros ?
                            Sure & steadfast.
                            BMC/BL Rally 2008.First prize 1980s onward.
                            1988 Montego Estate 1600L Atlantic Blue From new Daily runner
                            1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500HL Pagent Blue From new 76.000 milesNow out of Hibination and into Restoration

Comment

Originally posted by charliecosworth View Post
                              try these http://www.radiatorrepairs.co.uk if they can't repair it they make you one, i have seen some of there work its 100%
                              Cheers for the link, its going in on Tuesday, the mechanic looking at it said he knows someone local that does the same thing and can get one made if he cant do noting with the one on atm but it will obviously be made from stainless steal and will not be the same shape. If that's the root I have to take so be it but I would prefer a new one original one if possible.
                              MG Maestro Turbo #500
                              Rover 218vvc Coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X