montego 2.0 engine swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• montego 2.0 engine swap

Hi all am trying too fit a montego 2.0 engine into my 1.3 maestro all the nuts and bolt stuff seems fine however the electronic ignition bit has me a bit worried. ive unplugged it from harness near washer bottle .but the other end then enters into the harness which passes into car. has anyone ideas if I can just change the engine bit off the harness or do I need the full car harness.the montego is a f reg car and my maestro is a j reg one, any help would be brill

It depends whether its an EFi or Carb version as what extras you will need, but I would suggest that you need the full montego car harness to be able to extract everything that is different. The most important is using the correct Fuel ECU which may have different connections to your 1.3. Also check if you have got all the sensors from the Montego and other things may need relays that aren't present on the Maestro.
    Membership Secretary
    Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
    2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
    1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Comment

Hi ive got a carb 2.o montego engine.not the efi lump. I dont think my 1.3 has a ecu or the 2.0 just the electronic starter is this right. Also will i still need the full harness or is there just a front bit i can put in many thanks for help

Comment

I'm not an expert on these 2 particular engines but some questions to consider:
        1. Is the 2 litre one have an auto choke? That will have an ECU if it is.
        2. Is the 2 litre one have electronic ignition (ie has a distributor but no points). I guess the 1.3 which is an A-Series has points in the dizzy. If so, there'll be a crank position sensor and an ECU.
        Good luck!

Ian
        Ian Drew
        MG Maestro Turbo '400'
        MG ZT V8
        Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

Originally posted by cleandave2 View Post
          Hi ive got a carb 2.o montego engine.not the efi lump. I dont think my 1.3 has a ecu or the 2.0 just the electronic starter is this right. Also will i still need the full harness or is there just a front bit i can put in many thanks for help
          You will ideally need a wiring loom that includes the dash, then ignition ecu,fuel ecu, manifold, exhaust, crank and knock sensor, engine and gearbox mountings, gearbox, drive shafts, starter motor and more
          1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
          1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
          1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
          2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
          2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

Working...
          X