MG leaking fuel only when full?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MG leaking fuel only when full?

Been an eventful start of the year again for the turbo. After having to replace the fuel pump a few weeks ago that had just been replaced before it went into hibernation last year the tank that had last year just been replaced leaks when full. Thought it stank and used a lot of petrol the first time I took it out a few weeks ago on a 40 mile run but when I stopped the smell had gone and there was no leak. Just filled it up again and come home and its trailing a solid line of petrol behind it! Not been leaking while running about town the last few days at under half tank. Could be this the fuel sender again? Hope its reparable as that used tank took me an age to find. Cant see me finding another one.
    MG Maestro Turbo #500
    BMW 335I M Sport Convertible
    Subaru Impreza Hawkeye Wagon
    Rover 218vvc Coupe

Have a look at the fuel filler pipe and associated pipes to the tank. Fuel filler breather pipe can leak
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Presume the tank will have to be removed to check these? I take it that in the meantime it will be safe to drive ones its finished spilling out ha, long as I don't fill it right up again?
      MG Maestro Turbo #500
      BMW 335I M Sport Convertible
      Subaru Impreza Hawkeye Wagon
      Rover 218vvc Coupe

Comment

ok, Various options, should be easy to pinpoint.

1] Leak from the seam in the fuel tank, should start to show itself with more than 3-4 gallons in the tank. removal of tank and repair required.

2] Leak from the fuel level sensor on the tank. Should start to show itself with more than 3-4 gallons in the tank. The metal ring and rubber seal are standard classic mini parts. however the tabs on the tank that hold the ring can rust away making repair harder. You can change the ring and seal with the tank in situ.

3] The fuel filler pipe can be rusted, which can leave holes in the main pipe or the breather. This could be the most likley if only happening when really full.

4] general hole in the fuel tank high up, only showing itself when really full.

I have sufferd from all of these in the past!

Comment

Working...
        X