Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

O-Series rear engine mount, fixable or available?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • O-Series rear engine mount, fixable or available?

    Hello.
    While preparing my engine for removal the condition of the rear engine mount has come to my attention, in that it really isn't mounting anything. The rubber is no longer attached to the metal.
    Can these be re-bonded? They don't seem to be available any more which is a bit of an ar5e.
    SO assuming my worst fears are correct, does anyone have one for sale?

    Cheers,
    Ian
    Ian Drew
    MG Maestro Turbo '400'
    MG ZT V8
    Rover 75 V6 Estate

  • #2
    I found one on ebay, but had to keep looking for a long time, not sure that I'd trust a second hand one too far. I took Daniel Pyke's advice and filled it with tiger seal (same as sika flex), I'm thinking about trying to re bond the old one with tiger seal as an experiment...it is very strong. Years ago I rebonded one with some stuff a bearing rep brought to work, 'double bubble' it was called, it worked, but I've not seen it since....
    good luck!

    Comment


    • #3
      Ian, Googling the part number CRC6445 found a Polish web page, that looks like they stock L/R parts. The mounting is mentioned but as I can't read Polish, I don't know if their parts list is showing they have any in stock, or if its historical information
      Membership Secretary
      Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)


      1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
      2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
      1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car


      You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

      Comment


      • #4
        That Tiger Seal certainly appears to be good stuff. Having never used it I wonder if it would be strong enough. As I have a spare engine mount that has also separated I'll give it a go.

        Cheers guys.
        Ian
        Ian Drew
        MG Maestro Turbo '400'
        MG ZT V8
        Rover 75 V6 Estate

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Sussex Pete View Post
          Ian, Googling the part number CRC6445 found a Polish web page, that looks like they stock L/R parts. The mounting is mentioned but as I can't read Polish, I don't know if their parts list is showing they have any in stock, or if its historical information
          Looks like it fits a Land Rover too, here's a Danish advert that might help. Everyone in Denmark speaks English, I've bought spres there, good luck.

          http://shop.glad.dk/shop/land-rover-ophaeng-552p.html

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Soulcharger View Post

            Looks like it fits a Land Rover too, here's a Danish advert that might help. Everyone in Denmark speaks English, I've bought spres there, good luck.

            http://shop.glad.dk/shop/land-rover-ophaeng-552p.html
            nearly 200 quid - that's ridiculous !
            midget1380@btinternet.com

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by mgdavid View Post

              nearly 200 quid - that's ridiculous !
              That may be true but now knowing it's also a Land Rover part you can trawl Land Rover breakers see if they've got one.

              Comment


              • #8
                After some 5 months of looking, I managed to find a decent 2nd hand one. Cleaned it up, added some Tiger Seal rubber to the rubber parts that were worn away, that super decent chap Ruben De Lauw fitted it and low and behold - vibration be gone !!
                Whilst making that search I discovered a couple of things. Firstly that one particular mounting (gearbox to sub-frame) does deteriorate and causes a metal sounding knocking noise. That means/meant that the part gets replaced and is the most difficult to find as they've mostly all been sold. What I also found is that there are 3 different types that fit the 2.0 engine/PG1 gearbox, all are in the 1991 AR parts catalogue BUT when you look up the part number you can only find CRC6445 I have to assume the other 2 were inferior and through typical AR practice the customer trial and error system weeded them out. See picture, CRC6445 is the bottom right one, my original one was the top left one.
                Glad I finally got to do it car's a real joy to drive now.

                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230804_173837170~3.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	339219 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240328_104149636~3.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	680.5 KB
ID:	339220 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240406_115707475_HDR.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	339221

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Soulcharger View Post
                  After some 5 months of looking, I managed to find a decent 2nd hand one. Cleaned it up, added some Tiger Seal rubber to the rubber parts that were worn away, that super decent chap Ruben De Lauw fitted it and low and behold - vibration be gone !!
                  Whilst making that search I discovered a couple of things. Firstly that one particular mounting (gearbox to sub-frame) does deteriorate and causes a metal sounding knocking noise. That means/meant that the part gets replaced and is the most difficult to find as they've mostly all been sold. What I also found is that there are 3 different types that fit the 2.0 engine/PG1 gearbox, all are in the 1991 AR parts catalogue BUT when you look up the part number you can only find CRC6445 I have to assume the other 2 were inferior and through typical AR practice the customer trial and error system weeded them out. See picture, CRC6445 is the bottom right one, my original one was the top left one.
                  Glad I finally got to do it car's a real joy to drive now.

                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230804_173837170~3.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	339219 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240328_104149636~3.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	680.5 KB
ID:	339220 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240406_115707475_HDR.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	339221
                  Lovely guy Ruben, met him a few times. glad it's sorted now
                  1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                  1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                  1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                  2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
                  2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                  2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post

                    Lovely guy Ruben, met him a few times. glad it's sorted now
                    Yes he is, we usually hook up a couple of times a year, buying, selling and swopping parts with each other. There's not much he can't do with a Maestro or Montego and many other AR cars too.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Soulcharger View Post

                      Yes he is, we usually hook up a couple of times a year, buying, selling and swopping parts with each other. There's not much he can't do with a Maestro or Montego and many other AR cars too.
                      Next time you see him say hi for me please
                      1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                      1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                      1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                      2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
                      2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                      2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X