Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing rear window seal

Hi,

After all these years #413 is slowly getting some TLC. I need to respray the tailgate - has anybody removed the original rear window seal and got the b*gger back in afterwards without it looking a mess, or should I mask it? Same for the red stripe on the bumper. Just trying to avoid opening a can of worms

Cheers,

Mat (From a time long long ago)
    1989 MG Maestro Turbo #413

1986 MG Maestro EFi - Dead but still here
    1985 Austin Maestro 1.3 L - Dead and in heaven

2001 Rover 75 CDT (Daily Runner)

I've just been playing with a front winscreen seal, which is not dissimilar...it was a bit of a poor fit before, but worse now...., there was rust underneath it (which is why I took it off) so I'm pleased to have treated that, but it was a pig to get back in...

Comment

I made a mess of 384 taking out the front windscreen fortunately the windscreen was already delaminating so I left the tailgate window in when it went for painting and they took it out and put it back in and it looks as new
      I live in Barnsley so if you're anywhere near my body man is the business with window seals

Comment

Cheers, think I will mask it then I'm determined to do it all my self though - I like punishment hehe. Also, would need a pesky MOT to get it there.

Comment

My garage tried to do my seal but I think they could not be bothered. I'm going to try and get the rear windscreen out tomorrow, barr it raining and I'll let you know how I get on.

Comment

Well I finally managed to get the deal and rear screen out. The outer deal was brittle so that came out ok, the inner deal i just (GENTLY) pulled out. It came out easier from the middle on the lower edge the screen being bonded was more difficult. I carefully used a new sharp blade and cut, in small strokes, enough of the bonding to push the blade through. Next i too a junior hacksaw blade, pushed it through the hole and very slowly sawed through the bond all the way round.. It took me a very slow hour to complete being careful to not damage the hatch or the glass.
            I know some will berate me for my method but patience and a slow gentle hand always brings results.

Comment

Cheers Would be interested to know how it goes putting it back in.... I've just managed to snap off the pipe hose nozzle off the rear washer jet Glad I kept stuff from my first car

Comment

Working...
              X