Maestro van rear axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maestro van rear axle

Hi all does anyone know about the van back axle the problem i have is after taking drum off then the 4 bolts that hold the back plate on.am left with a stub shaft does this knock out of the beam so that am left with a flat plate with the 4 bolts holes on a flange.the idea then is too make a plate so i can bolt on hatchback drums etc.any help would be brill cheers

It should just knock off, probably just rusted tight.

Comment

So it does come off then i didnt want to hit it incase it was welded on...so i take it i should be able too look into a round hole inside the beam with a square plate with the 4 holes that attach stud then back plate is that right cheers for help

Comment

Yes, the hole centres are different to the car ones and I'm not 100% sure that the spigot is the same diameter, but I know that people have converted to car hubs, so may just be a case of redrilling...I guess you should tell your insurance company too.. the strange thing is that the van bearings and brakes are bigger than car ones, but a Montego estate has a very similar rear axle load rating and the back brakes do very little work on any of them, I guess they reckoned that the van would spend more of its life fully loaded..Good luck!

Comment

I did wonder about the back brakes being up to the job when I changed my van to car rear brakes, but as mine was a camper I knew it wouldn't be carrying heavy loads.

Ian
          Ian Drew
          MG Maestro Turbo '400'
          MG ZT V8
          Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

Hi ian so how did you do it please as am in the process now cheers dave

Comment

I just held the car drum back plate against the end of the van rear beam, got as many of the holes to line up as possible then simply drilled out the others. The back plates had to be rotated by approx 20 degrees to get the best alignment.
              Once the car drum backplates have been bolted on, the handbrake fits and the pipes can easily be bent by hand to fit, mainly because of the slight rotation.

I did this a fair few years ago so there MAY be bits that I have forgotten.
              The camper was bought by a guy who did frequent the Facebook page, all I can remember is that his name was Mike, just in case he's still about and can offer any advice or pictures.

Hope that helps,
              Ian
              Ian Drew
              MG Maestro Turbo '400'
              MG ZT V8
              Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

Cheers ive spoken to him already he bought his van already done .but thats a good help what youve said many thanks

Comment

Working...
                X