Speedo reading incorrectly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo reading incorrectly

Hi, is anyone able to offer advice on why my speedo is reading incorrectly on my a series maestro?

It's on 195 R15 55 tyres. The spare in the boot is 175 R14 70 (which I assume is the original, it's wearing Goodyear).
    To the best of my knowledge that makes the overall diameter just 5mm different which I wouldn't have thought would make much difference.

The speed seems consistently out, it reads 30 when I'm doing approx 20, 40 when I'm doing 30, etc. I checked it with a GPS tracker on my phone which should be accurate enough. I was certainly annoying people on the bypass when I first bought it home holding up traffic thinking I was doing the 30 mph limit..

Everything else seems fine. So am I to assume it's the drive gear for the cable? But wouldn't that mean my 'box had been swapped or could it become faulty? I've only had the car for two weeks so not sure how long it's been out.

It's a Ledbury and still a 5 speed.

Thanks in advance.
    ​​​​​

Has the gearbox been replaced in its life time?
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

it wont be the cable drive gearbox or tyres, if it where then the problem would be worst at high speed and not a constant 10mph out.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
        Has the gearbox been replaced in its life time?
        I honestly don't know. Its as dirty as the rest of it how would I tell? Should it match serial numbers with anything?

History with the car was limited but I'll dig out and see if there was anything about it.

Comment

Originally posted by robert1 View Post
          it wont be the cable drive gearbox or tyres, if it where then the problem would be worst at high speed and not a constant 10mph out.
          Okay thanks, at least that limits what it could be. I'll do some more searching online and check if the box was replaced.

Comment

i think your speedometer head might be faulty.

Comment

dose the odometer read correctly? if a mile dive is correctly added to the odometer you will know it is a faulty speedometer head

Comment

Working...
              X