Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• diesel lift pump repair

lift pump repair

i would try this, you may need to reassemble it so the inlet and outlet face the right way.

https://www.parts4engines.com/perkin...SABEgKuTfD_BwE

Comment

That is a very interesting option Robert, the price is good and it looks like a genuine Perkins spare unlike the last one I bought, if I cant find how to swap the current diaphragm for one in the MG Rover repair kit, I will get that new pump,.
      The car is running but there is oil leaking around the fuel pump and I cant tell if is Diesel or engine oil, this is a worry I don't want diesel in the engine oil.
      Thank you very much for your Help.
      T 2 sheds

Comment

Hello again Robert (Merry Christmas to you and many thanks) I did buy the fuel Pump that you suggested and it is on the car now and seems to be working well, the old fuel pump had a large split in the diaphragm, but the engine was working fine, a clue was the sump level going up instead of the usual down! Of course I have changed the engine oil and filter also.
        The previous fuel pump to this faulty one lasted 18 years to my knowledge, it seems they need to be watched though.

Comment

Excellent, thanks for letting me know. It is the first time I have seen a pump with the rubber olives. The old pump should have had a breather hole to vent the underside of the diaphragm, when the diaphragm fails diesel should be leaking onto the head not into the sump. that is really bad, I don't think it could have been a genuine pump.
          Did you get your suspension sorted?

Comment

Hello Robert, nice to hear from you, re the rubber olives I didn't need to use them, the original pipework fitted straight onto the pump. There was a drainage hole in the old pump but the split must have been bigger, oddly the engine just kept going as normal or I would have found out sooner.
            Yes I did get the suspension sorted and the strut that you found was perfect and correct for my TD Maestro, I did a Google search (Monroe 11082 Rover) and my model came up straight away, using Rover instead of Austin did the trick, I will tell the full story in the section on that where you and John Dr D were so helpful in getting the old girl back on the road before Christmas.

Comment

Hello again Robert, I just had another look at the leaky fuel pump, and noticed that the drainage hole was quite high, closer to the top of the well than the bottom, so there may have been a pool of Diesel in there all the time. If I ever repair that pump it will have another hole close to the bottom.
              This makes me think that it would be a good idea to run a finger under the fuel pump when checking the engine oil level, this would warn of trouble without undoing anything.
              Once again thanks for all the help Tom H

Comment

I am pleased it is back on the road, modern oil is very good so hopefully no harm will have been done. I have fitted pumps without the olives before and not had any leaks, but the car is supposed to have the olives.
                i think it is a perkins thing as other cars use copper olives for the same type of pump.

Comment

Hello again Robert, my pipes have metal olives and nuts, these are the same thread as the ones in the kit so I didn't need either olive or nut, the Perkins engine goes in boats (and Volvo's) I think, maybe a plain pipe like on a boat would go well with the rubber olive and brass nut, I don't know for sure.
                  But the Maestro pipes are really firm and cant be moved and are showing no signs of leaks, (I am allergic to leaks these days).
                  Yes I am hopeful that no damage is done, the engine is fairly quiet for its 80,000 miles and the old oil feels pretty thick and oily so fingers crossed.
                  Thanks again for your help, I will be back later to fill in on the suspension job, John Dr D was right when he said it was not easy, but I did get there in the end.

Comment

sounds like the pipes have been cut down to take brass olives, probably because the rubber one are hard to fined. The pipes need to be flared for a rubber olive so the nuts in the kit are useless.
                    i can't fined a photo of a prima pipe but it is a similar flare to this one. https://www.silverfoxtractorspares.c...ipe-2918-p.asp
                    80,000 miles is not a lot for a prima, our montego has 275,000 on the clock.

Comment

I think the Prima came with brass olives on steel pipe, the pump is the same as a 3.152 though and some of them used those hideous rubber olives. On them it was nylon pipe with a brass insert and the rubber had a brass washer behind it. If the rubber got damaged when taking the pipes off, it could end up throwing bits of itself into the pump, always sealed well, but not good for maintenance...

Comment

Hello Dr diesel
                        All our montegos had rubber olives from new, I could never get them out the pump in one peace but never had any trouble in service. I don't know anything about the 3.152, it was just the only image that showed the type of fitting our montegos have. I think the nylon pipe is the one that gos to the tank, i would not like to use a rubber olive without a flare to stop the pipe popping out.

Comment

Working...
                        X