Automatic Choke - Conversion to manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic Choke - Conversion to manual

I have just purchased a 1986 Maestro 1.3L that is fitted with a automatic choke. How easy is it to convert to a manual choke?

The car has been sat for 12 years, so i need to check/change all vacuum hoses and service the carburettor. Would you recommend converting to manual or persevering with the automatic? Many thanks

It is fairly easy to convert to manual, but you'd lose the automatic idle speed/anti stall facility, where the ecu uses the fast idle setting on the auto choke stepper motor to maintain idle speed. Rover fitted this so that idle could be set lower and save fuel, with manual choke you might have to increase idle speed to avid stalling if you had a lot of electrical items switched on.. I'd keep the auto choke, but if I bought a car with a coversion to manual, would probably leave it on, I guess it depends what (if nything) turns out to be wrong with your auto choke.

Comment

While the auto choke like any part of a car can cause problems, I would not say it was a particually unreliable part of the Maestro. If you have problem with the brakes, you don't take them off! I will confess that finding what is causing any running problem on a Maestro can be differcult! Hopfully, someone on here can offer some detailed guidance, most of my Maestros have been fuel injected.

Comment

Thank you for your advice. I'm going to leave it as is and buy a service kit from Burlen and give it a good clean out.

Comment

Working...
        X