X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aerial Replacement

Hi All

could I ask for your advice please.
    the roof aerial on my maestro won’t fully retract- it sits about 8 -10 inches high. I think this is probably because it is a) old, and b) More likely because it is bent too far towards the centre of the roof.

How easy is it to change the aerial, and what’s involved? I haven’t attempted to bend it straight as knowing my luck it’ll snap.
    Does anyone know where I could source a new / good second hand replacement?

cheers

Rob

Hi Rob, before you try removing it you may want to spray some lubricant on it first. To replace it you'll need to unplug from the rear of the radio and work the cable out so you can attach about 3ft of string to it so that its held secure when you have to pull it out of the A pillar. Try pulling it a bit so you know it wont pull off. Remove the grey plastic trim at the side of the dash that also attaches to the door seal then unscrew the top holding screws on the aerial to the roof, careful as they maybe very rusty and pull out/up so you can remove the plastic aerial housing and cable. Pull up enough so the cable end comes out but with the string still attached with enough on it to pull back down. Remove the string and attach to the new cable end. Pull down from inside the interior to get the cable end back behind the dash and pull enough so attach the new aerial to the roof. You may have to pull up and down a bit to get the cable past a few obstacles in the A pillar. You maybe lucky that it goes smoothly, you may not as the pulling the cable back down it can wedge sometimes
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 25th July 2020, 13:18.
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

Thanks Jeff, appreciate the advice, really useful. I’m now on the hunt for a replacement. I’ll post in other forum for a replacement!

regards

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Mepham View Post
        Thanks Jeff, appreciate the advice, really useful. I’m now on the hunt for a replacement. I’ll post in other forum for a replacement!

regards

Rob
        No worries, you'll need a maestro only and a montego one is larger
        1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
        1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
        1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
        2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
        2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

regards

Rob
          Rob, I just happen to have a brand new Maestro aerial sitting in my parts store. First, whereabouts are you, as its quite long so postage will be awkward.
          Membership Secretary
          Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
          2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
          1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Comment

Hi Pete,

PM sent.

cheers

Rob

Comment

regards

Rob
              I bought a genuine replacement aerial from Rimmers, it wasn't expensive, they have several types, well worth checking out.

Comment

Hi,

Sourced yesterday from Pete - just need to fit!

thanks for all your assistance.

Rob

Comment

Working...
                X