Engine shudders and jumps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine shudders and jumps

Last year I had a problem with my 1986 1.3 City X Maestro. I was experiencing SEVERE what felt like jumps of the engine when taking off from a standstill. I brought it to an old-time mechanic that I know and he told me the engine stabilising bar was broken. At that time I did not have a replacement so he told me that he would make one for me. After that the car went fine until I was out in it yesterday. The same terrible shudders had returned. Do you think the replacement one he fabricated has failed? I now have a replacement on, see photo. NB the tyre pressure of all tyres was extremely low. Would that have a bearing on it?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	332527
    Attached Files

No replies?

Comment

Shuddering on moving off would normally be either. Engine or gearbox mount failing, clutch needed adjustment or replacement. You won't know if the stabiliser bar has failed unless you have a look at it. Don't think anyone could tell you that on a forum without seeing it
      1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
      1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
      1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
      2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
      2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

I would suggest that a broken stabiliser bar would be a result of the judder, rather than the cause of it. So I would agree with Jeff that engine mountings and clutch would be the things to look at. If oil leaks have contaminated any of the engine mountings, that would make them less effective.

I would not think that low tyre pressures would have any effect.
        1983 (Y) MG 1600
        1985 MG EFi with digital dash (owned since 1987)
        1987 700 City 1.6 Van
        1988 Tandy camper 2.0D
        1990 Advantage, just 29k on the clock
        1990 Clubman D
        1990 MG 2.0i (spares donor)

(all Maestros)

Daily drive: Rover 25 GTi

Weekend rave: Honda Civic Type R GT

Current projects: Allegro 1.7HLS, Allegro Equipe

Comment

I have been talking to the old-timer mechanic I know, and he thinks oil is getting onto the clutch when the engine has been going for good while. There is some oil on the bottom of the engine so perhaps he is right. He will be checking it out next week,

Comment

Originally posted by Gerry View Post
            I have been talking to the old-timer mechanic I know, and he thinks oil is getting onto the clutch when the engine has been going for good while. There is some oil on the bottom of the engine so perhaps he is right. He will be checking it out next week,
            If you're getting oil on the clutch then the gearbox will need to come out and rear crank seal replaced, add a replacement clutch while you're at it
            1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
            1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
            1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
            2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
            2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

Working...
            X