Tailgate not closeing on one side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tailgate not closeing on one side

Does anyone know why the tailgate is not shutting on one side of my Austin maestro it looks like it is not aligned would it be the gas struts causing it

It could be the gas struts or those rubber stops on the tailgate edge. I once put one of them rubber stops round the wrong way and it wouldn't close properly on that side. Check both.

Comment

I will check them and let you know if it either the struts or the rubber stops thanks

Comment

Hi I changed the struts with new ones and checked the rubber stops still not closeing on one side dont know if the tailgate is warped.

Comment

Might be worth removing the gas struts, rubber stops and the tailgate seal and then with someone inside the car checking for fouling, while someone else is closing the tailgate from the outside (remember, without the struts it is very heavy). That should flag up is the tailgate is warped/twisted or there is something stopping the tailgate from sitting close to the seal flange.
          Membership Secretary
          Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
          2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
          1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Comment

Working...
          X