Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine still running cold after new thermostat!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine still running cold after new thermostat!

Took the MG out for a spin last week and the engine temperature gauge was only reading ¼ sat in traffic and nothing while moving. Changed the thermostat this morning. It initially started working getting near to ½ way and then the same, reading ¼ sat in traffic and nothing while moving. What else could the problem? Thanks Andy
    MG Maestro Turbo #500
    BMW 335I M Sport Convertible
    Subaru Impreza Hawkeye Wagon
    Rover 218vvc Coupe

bad connection to the temperature sensor? is the heater blowing hot air?

Comment

Daft question, where is the temperature sensor located? The heater has never worked in the 8 years I have had it, only a dry weather summer car, don’t need it
      MG Maestro Turbo #500
      Rover 218vvc Coupe

Comment

it's on the thermostat housing just above the bottom bolt that fixes it to the head.
        you probably have an airlock in the heater, you can use a hosepipe to flush it out

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
          Took the MG out for a spin last week and the engine temperature gauge was only reading ¼ sat in traffic and nothing while moving. Changed the thermostat this morning. It initially started working getting near to ½ way and then the same, reading ¼ sat in traffic and nothing while moving. What else could the problem? Thanks Andy
          If it turns out not to be the temp sensor, it might be worth checking that the new thermostat isn't faulty, they don't usually fail to open, but seems odd that it worked for a while.. I have been caught out by faulty new parts in the past...replaced a condensor on an old Land Rover, all good for a week, then it started cutting out at random...I fiddled with everything apart from the shiny new condenser before eventually realising that it was a dud..

Comment

Daft question, where is the temperature sensor located? The heater has never worked in the 8 years I have had it, only a dry weather summer car, don’t need it
            If the heater has never worked then you possibly have a blockage from the engine bay to the heater matrix, possibly the rear water pipe at the back of the engine is blocked up. I would get that cleared out while you're at it. If the car doesn't run to temperature then eventually it will affect the running of it.
            1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
            1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
            1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
            2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
            2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

Originally posted by robert1 View Post
              it's on the thermostat housing just above the bottom bolt that fixes it to the head.
              you probably have an airlock in the heater, you can use a hosepipe to flush it out
              Just to double check is it the bottom or top sensor, thanks Andrew
              MG Maestro Turbo #500
              Rover 218vvc Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post

If the heater has never worked then you possibly have a blockage from the engine bay to the heater matrix, possibly the rear water pipe at the back of the engine is blocked up. I would get that cleared out while you're at it. If the car doesn't run to temperature then eventually it will affect the running of it.
                The mg is going in shorty to get the performance parts fitted in a previous thread so the head etc will be off. I will get it done then. Are there any parts I will likely need? I will get them before hand to speed up the process. Thanks Andrew
                MG Maestro Turbo #500
                Rover 218vvc Coupe

Comment

The mg is going in shorty to get the performance parts fitted in a previous thread so the head etc will be off. I will get it done then. Are there any parts I will likely need? I will get them before hand to speed up the process. Thanks Andrew
                  With the blocked water pipe? you may need a replacement but any good metal fabricator should be able to make that for you. I would also flush out the heater matrix while your at it. If you're removing the head etc I'm assuming you already have replacement gaskets
                  1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                  1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                  1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                  2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                  2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

I would use a Payne's gasket, and yes you need to get the heater working. it is a useful source of emergence cooling and if you have an oil cooler it will be inline with the heater so will not be working.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post

With the blocked water pipe? you may need a replacement but any good metal fabricator should be able to make that for you. I would also flush out the heater matrix while your at it. If you're removing the head etc I'm assuming you already have replacement gaskets
                      That’s what I thought, I didn’t want it snapping. I seem to remember a few years back there was a thread about a group buy on water pipes and a batch were produced. In hindsight I should have bought a set. But if they are easy enough to get made that’s ok. Yes, the garage owner has got the gaskets for me. I believe he knows the owner of motobuild quite well and they have come from there.

PS. I have ordered the temperature sensor but when looking down there is two sensors on the housing, is it the top or bottom one? Thanks Andrew
                      MG Maestro Turbo #500
                      Rover 218vvc Coupe

Comment

It is the bottom one. you can always use rubber hose till you can have a new pipe made up, just keep it away from the exhaust manifold.

Comment

Great, thanks for the help.
                          MG Maestro Turbo #500
                          Rover 218vvc Coupe

Comment

Working...
                          X